Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Accounting or Management at SDSU?

mariahsdmariahsd Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited May 2008 in Business Major
I am in my early thirties attending SDSU for one year. When I transferred I was positive I wanted to be an accounting major. However, at the same time I started working about 60 hour weeks. Needless to say, I did not pass my first six unit accounting course (had a D which is basically the worse grade I ever had in college). The problem is that I am married and in my thirties and want to move on with my life (I want to have kids,etc...).
I am contemplating changing my major to management which I heard is much easier than accounting. It takes a lot of humility and some embarrassment to make such a drastic change. Should I be ashamed of moving from accounting to management?
What can I do with management anyway? The research I have done so far does not show me the best outlook.
I work less now, about 45 hours per week. I am a demand analyst in a wireless company in San Diego (I do master scheduling and budget preparation).
Management would take me 2 years max working 40 hours per week (including summer school).
Accounting would take me 3 years working 40 hours per week (including summer school).
This is a BIG life decision for me. If I could go back to when I was 19 and do it all over again, I would.
Anyway, any advise on whether to stay in accounting vs. changing to management would be appreciated. Also, what can one do with management? Being in the accounting major, I see numerous job opportunities, I am not sure about management?
Post edited by mariahsd on

Replies to: Accounting or Management at SDSU?

• VectorWegaVectorWega Registered User Posts: 1,872 Senior Member
    You really need to talk with your career services and find out the avg starting salaries of those majors. If there is not a large discrepancy, go with mgt.

I checked the career services page and they only had national avgs. You need to know specifically for SDSU. You should also find out what types of jobs mgt majors get. Career Services may have a list. Also, I would contact an advisory or faculty member in the college of business to clear this up for you.

There is a little information here:
    SDSU Management Program

but it is pretty general. Generally, mgt majors aren't as marketable as accounting majors but it may be the best move for you.
This discussion has been closed.