Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Finance Major: BU vs CUNY Baruch (which is better?)

Replies to: Finance Major: BU vs CUNY Baruch (which is better?)

• asdfsystemaasdfsystema Registered User Posts: 324 Member
    Thx for the responses. I am still deciding and it's been about 2 months now ... I still dont know my decision .

What if I'm trying to transfer to NYU after my freshman year? BU has a really good college experience, but i want to stay for my family , i think it will change a lot once I leave , and i would rather stay 4 years at a college near my home to be with my family.

How is BU ranked in terms of business at SMG? finance especially... is it considered prestiguous or a typical education?
  • asdfsystemaasdfsystema Registered User Posts: 324 Member
    bump 10char)))
  • Mike11418Mike11418 Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    Average salary isn't a good reason to deny a school......Baruch and BU have a Large student body thus there will be extreme lows and highs....however that doesnt represent a student with drive and one who will study and get a good GPA (3.5+) personally I know of a few from Baruch that recieved much more than 49K
  • DawgieDawgie Registered User Posts: 1,576 Senior Member
    That average salary statistic for school is 100% meaningless. You should only worry about it, if you consider yourself average.
  • taxguytaxguy Registered User Posts: 6,629 Senior Member
    I graduated from Baruch 30 years ago with a GPA in excess of 3.5. I had firms chasing me with dinners, play tickets etc. Trust me, if you do well at Baruch, you will have no problem getting offers.
    I'm not going to give you no concrete answers, but when you are dealing with two schools that aren't the top, go with the cheaper one.
  • DHJetsFan423DHJetsFan423 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    I'm not saying Baruch isn't a good school. It's a great school for business. But my friends that goes there say it is like high school again. If you went to a public high school in New York City, then all you are going to see is a whole lot of students from your school and other public high schools around the city. That might not be a bad thing but a lot of the people I know that went there ended up transferring.

If you want to transfer to NYU you will need a very high GPA especially if you are applying freshman year. You might need a 3.7 or high. If you are in the city then might as well just go to Baruch if you are planning to transfer. So you don't have to pay all that tuition at BU.

I know that the average starting salary doesn't mean all that much. But it does say something about their job placements. But you guys are right, I shouldn't look too much into it.
    A big part in getting a job is networking, if you think you can do that better in Baruch then thats where you should go.
  • taxguytaxguy Registered User Posts: 6,629 Senior Member
    Other than having a more usual "college experience" that you would get at BU, Baruch is the better place. It is located in NY. It has LOTS of job connections because of that. It is about one half the price as BU. If you are from NY, it is one-sixth the price of BU. Manhattan is a kick-ass town to be a student in. New York City is an incredibly vibrant place and maybe even more than Boston. Baruch is not only a better choice than BU but may be one of the most underappreciated gems here on CC. Sadly, it doesn't even have its own forum here.
  • biggyboybiggyboy Registered User Posts: 1,558 Senior Member
    the average starting salary for baruch undergrads was $44,444 in 2005 and it rose to over $51,000 in 2006
  • DaNDHSIrishGuyDaNDHSIrishGuy Registered User Posts: 197 Junior Member
    But is the oos tuition "still" a steal?

If I go here, I wan't to have big 4 offers coming out of my ears... I'd guess I will have a 3.5+ because it's business, and I would be interested as hell in it.
    I doubt OOS is a steal.
    really, why not? 8.6k+2k+12k=24.6/yr "24.6k x 5k" somewhere below 125k, omg I just shot myself
    Would Indiana sound better? 23k + 2k + 8k=33k 33k x 4 or 5
  • biggyboybiggyboy Registered User Posts: 1,558 Senior Member
    baruch has a popular 5-year b.s./m.s. accounting program. the big four firms are always recruiting students from there. all you need is a good gpa. honestly, how hard can that be? you are practically guaranteed a job. just study and don't fool around. you cannot go wrong with the cpa track program from there. good luck to you.

and yes, at $8k out of state tuition is a steal. the education you receive from there is worth $20,000+
    What would you say the actual placement into Big 4 firms is? SUNY Binghamton is 95%, like said on their website...
This discussion has been closed.