Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Day in the life of an investment banker...(this is rough)

Replies to: Day in the life of an investment banker...(this is rough)

• dcfcadcfca Registered User Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    Yeah Princeton gets recruited from banking firms.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Registered User Posts: 24,630 Senior Member
    Princeton is a major hunting ground for IBs. And NYC is really the heart of the industry. You obviously have opportunities in Chicago, San Francisco, Miami and a couple of other cities around the US, but NYC is the hub.
  • MicaloA2005MicaloA2005 Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    Thanks a bunch. Great advice.
  • farbdogg71farbdogg71 - Posts: 724 Member
    alexandre, would a leadership degree with a minor in any concentration of busines be any good? it seems like a leadership degree could do a lot of good in any area of the business world
    What do you mean by "leadership degree"?
  • farbdogg71farbdogg71 - Posts: 724 Member
    well im going to the university of richmond next year and they offer a bachelor of arts in leadership. im just asking would that help at all or not? im still gonna major in it id just like your opinion
    University of Richmond is a great place to study. You will have a great experience there.

I am not familiar with the Leadership major, so I really cannot speak to it. What I recommend to all people, regardless of their major, is to learn about Investment Banking. Know what it is that they do, understand the mindset and lingo and get acquainted with the lifestyle and bahvioral traits of the IBsanker.

Also, take as many classes as possible in Economics, Math/Statistics and Finance/Accounting. If you can take 4 or 5 classes in each of those 3 subfields, you will be in great shape. Furthermore. perfect your skills in at least one foreign language and in the use of report and presentation programs, like Excel and PowerPoint. If you can get to a level where you can speak a foreign language with ease and be an expert at Excel and PowerPoint, you will be much better off.

Finally, PLAN! If you do not go to a school that is a major IB hunting ground, and I do not believe Richmond is a major IB hunting ground, you have to plan well and take aggressive initiative. But do not be discouraged, it can be done.

Well, that's all I have to say...I think! LOL
  • LarsLars Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    I noticed earlier in this thread that someone asked what their chances as a Princeton graduate would be for becoming an investment banker..What i basically want to know is what my chances as a Fairfield University graduate, with a Finance major are..?
  • Romo1Romo1 Registered User Posts: 202 Junior Member
    Alexandre - I'm going to Babson College next year and I am interested in knowing whether IBanks recruit from Babson? However, I am more interested in consulting at this point, do consultants have similarly demanding schedules?
  • dcfcadcfca Registered User Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    you guys should look around on the school's websites about recruiting, usually your school tells you if and when banks and other companies come.
  • MicaloA2005MicaloA2005 Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    Hey romo1 where are you from?
  • Romo1Romo1 Registered User Posts: 202 Junior Member
    I'm from Portland, Oregon.
  • DunkarooDunkaroo Registered User Posts: 1,368 Senior Member
    Romo Babson does attract some i-banks. I don't think the first rate names like Goldman or Morgan Stanley go there but many other firms in the Boston area do. Generally big name banks go to the Ivy's or Top 25's to recruit. They don't usually venture out of those schools. The smaller banks: KPMG comes to mind as one that heavily recruits there as does Cambridge Associates. THese banks although may not be big name they are still certainly great places to learn the field and then who knows where you can go from there.

Good luck!

Nittany Lions will bring the house down. NCAA Football we shall win
  • cappanecappane Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    What are my chances of being an IBanker at a leading firm with a BSBA with a concentration in Finance from Boston University??
  • TpeckTpeck - Posts: 590 Member
    Depends if you get an internship and if you do good.
This discussion has been closed.