Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Day in the life of an investment banker...(this is rough)

indy787indy787 Registered User Posts: 238 Junior Member
edited November 2008 in Business Major
http://www.vault.com/nr/main_article_detail.jsp?article_id=23146519&cat_id=0&ht_type=1

This is just ridiculous! They certainly deserve the $500,000 salary.
Post edited by indy787 on

Replies to: Day in the life of an investment banker...(this is rough)

• AlexandreAlexandre Registered User Posts: 24,617 Senior Member
    That sounds about right. People always ask me why I quite IB and went into HR...well, there's your answer! LOL
  • supervillainsupervillain Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    500 g's as an analyst? yeah right!
    Supervillain, in my third and final year as an IBanker back in 1999, my salary, including my fat bonus was not too far from the 500 G mark. But it was simply not worth it. I make half of that today (7 years and a graduate degree later) but I am much happier!
  • VTBoyVTBoy Registered User Posts: 580 Member
    I rather have a 40 hour a week job making 100,000 a year, 3 years after graduating and 200,000 a year, 10 years after graduating with your undergraduate degree. U make a lot less but only work 40 hours a week.
  • dcfcadcfca Registered User Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    Alexandre, just wondering -- what kind of work/where do you work nowadays? And what's Dubai like? I have a friend who works for KPMG in Baghdad and he's visited and sent me pictures and it looks like a really great place, but is it only a tourist spot? Or is it actually a nice place to live?
    dcfca, I currently work for a mid-large sized local company. I am the head of Human Resources, in charge of a work force of 3,000 or so employees.

Dubai is an interesting place to live...for a short period of time and it is a fun and "different" place to visit. However, I do not see myself living in the UAE in 10 years.
  • sempitern555sempitern555 - Posts: 3,350 Senior Member
    that sort of describes my life as a student
  • dstarkdstark Registered User Posts: 34,241 Senior Member
    Alexandre, what did you get your graduate degree in?
    What experience helps someone do well in the human resources field?
    I got my graduate degree in Industrial and Labor Relations at Cornell. As for the sort of experience a person needs to become a successful HR professional, there really isn't a model. Many sociologists and psychologists make excellent HR professionals, but successful HR professionals usually come from all sorts of backgrounds.
  • mahras2mahras2 Registered User Posts: 1,977 Senior Member
    Its all about being a trader ;). Work less and if you are good that 500K will look like chump change. Didnt say its easy but it can be done.
  • primitivefutureprimitivefuture - Posts: 1,453 Member
    Alexandre, how much can I get as a begginner analyst?
  • jpps1jpps1 . Posts: 1,993 Senior Member
    Depending on the i-bank and your education, you could expect a salary and bonus of anywhere from $70,000-105,000.
  • primitivefutureprimitivefuture - Posts: 1,453 Member
    how how many years do i need to work to earn $500,00 annually?
  • TpeckTpeck - Posts: 590 Member
    My job now is alot more stressful then that. That looks like a breeze in the park. You guys don't do construction/work-outside often do you?
  • dcfcadcfca Registered User Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    even though their not working with their hands, the work can still be stressful/challenging.
This discussion has been closed.