Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Most popular major

ZellZell Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
edited February 2009 in Business Major
I'm really curious: business/finance seems to be the most popular major in the nation, according to the Princeton Review. Why is that? I was thinking that math majors would kind of increase due to stuff like Maple and SAS, but it's not even on the radar screen in most colleges. I'm a Stats major doing Acturial stuff so I like to understand the boring statistics behind stuff like this :D
Post edited by Zell on

Replies to: Most popular major

• OneOne Registered User Posts: 152 Junior Member
    I'm pretty sure most people could handle a math major, but the work is hard and programs like Maple/Matlab/Mathematica are geared towards research. So they aren't used (at all) in financial fields.
  • JapherJapher Registered User Posts: 1,349 Senior Member
    Probably because it's an "I don't really know what I want to do with my life, so I'm going to major in this" type of degree, it keeps the most doors open after graduation. If you really knew what you were going to do you could probably narrow it down some.
  • steeveesteevee Registered User Posts: 828 Member
    Finance = money. I like money, therefore I major in finance.

At least, that's what I think goes on inside the head of most finance majors.
  • maciekmgmaciekmg Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    agreed^^^^^^^
This discussion has been closed.