Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Leadership or Math

IndianaGrad65IndianaGrad65 Registered User Posts: 1,172
edited September 2009 in Business Major
which would be a better minor?
Post edited by IndianaGrad65 on

Replies to: Leadership or Math

• JapherJapher Registered User Posts: 1,349 Senior Member
    There are degrees in leadership?
  • airbagairbag Registered User Posts: 179 Junior Member
    Definitely go with leadership. Anyone can do math (and who really needs it, anyway? isn't that why we have calculators?), but effective leadership is rarer than 24-karat diamonds.
  • rheidzanrheidzan Registered User Posts: 401 Member
    Definitely go with leadership. Anyone can do math (and who really needs it, anyway? isn't that why we have calculators?), but effective leadership is rarer than 24-karat diamonds.

I'm sorry that I'm kindda slow... but is this a joke?
  • OneOne Registered User Posts: 152 Junior Member
    Minors don't matter at all career-wise. Also, airbag, was that a joke? The internet isn't a good medium for sarcasm.
  • waitingforcalwaitingforcal Registered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    Why not both? If you have to choose one, leadership is the choice. And minors might not get you the job, One, but if the job was between two people, both with the same degree, but one had a minor in something like leadership...it could be the tie breaker.
  • tportemtportem Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    leadership? seriously? math should be a no brainer. you get leadership experience by being leader of a club or a team or something, not some bs classes about management styles. showing that you can handle math will not only make you stand out, but you'll learn some beautiful, fundamental truths about the universe :)
  • Euler321Euler321 Registered User Posts: 597 Member
    a minor in leadership sounds like a load of bs. If I was hiring someone and saw they had that minor I would throw out their resume immediately.
  • PureAdvisoryPureAdvisory Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    I can already see the syllabus and class objectives for the first course in the "Leadership" major: learn how to build a fire in the woods, locating the north star in case you get lost in the wilderness, save a kitten from a tree, how to tie a knot, etc.
  • C-RevsC-Revs Registered User Posts: 849 Member
    Math. This should not even be a dilemma.
  • airbagairbag Registered User Posts: 179 Junior Member
    why would i be joking? the OP clearly is in a sticky dilemma, and i was merely offering my opinion that studying how to lead people is a much better usage of his or her time than studying how to do something like math that is completely obsolete. gosh, some people on these boards just can't appreciate alternate perspectives!
    Leadership is not something that can be taught, necessarilly. True leadership comes with experience, knowledge, and respect not earned or learned in a classroom, or just manifests itself as an "it" factor in certain people. To think a class can teach this is, IMO, silly. This is probably why rheidzan thought you were joking.

On the other hand math is by no means obsolete. While it is true anyone can do it not many do, and this is usually to their demise. Not understand math by leaders is what got us into this whole financial mess we are in right now. Math is everywhere, and it's not going away.
  • OneOne Registered User Posts: 152 Junior Member
    It wasn't the opinion that bothered me, but the calculator part. A machine cannot come up creative financial models...
  • Euler321Euler321 Registered User Posts: 597 Member
    airbag, you might not need to do much math if you are selling t-shirts on a street corner. If this is your career goal, then more power to you. The bigger the company the more important math becomes. Finance uses math to calculate risk to make balanced portfolios. Logistics uses massive computer networks in order to minimize the cost of distributing and transporting goods (linear algebra). Do you honestly think someone sits down at a desk and through guess work designs airline schedules? Operations research needs no explanation.

Japher, I'll agree if you mean arithmetic, which an elementary schooler can do. Most people suck at math. Taking an intro level statistics or calculus class doesn't make someone good.

I can't believe this is even an argument. A minor in leadership? How does this not smell like bs? Does this entail doing trust falls and completing an obstacle course? At least with a math minor shows you have some level of quantitative ability.
    Japher, I'll agree if you mean arithmetic, which an elementary schooler can do. Most people suck at math. Taking an intro level statistics or calculus class doesn't make someone good.

Sucking at math is only a matter of effort. I think most people suck at math because they never really give it a shot.

However, by "can do it" I mean it as much in the sense that anyone "can" run a marathon, but they don't. Similarlly, I believe not everyone "can" lead a company or an organization. Taking this notion to extremes; studying leadership would be akin to studying gifted children. While you can study their tactics and outcomes it won't make you able to be like them.
  • sweet n saltysweet n salty Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    I'd ask people who are pursuing the leadership minor what it they are doing. Maybe they stduy great leaders?

How much math have you taken, maxellis? Do you know what the math minor entails?
This discussion has been closed.