Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Will nationalizing banks hurt business majors' salaries?

jrt336jrt336 Registered User Posts: 1,044 Senior Member
edited February 2009 in Business Major
Will nationalizing our banks lower the salaries of those in business? If they will, how much will the salaries be affected?
Post edited by jrt336 on

Replies to: Will nationalizing banks hurt business majors' salaries?

• harv5889harv5889 Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    this topic deserves a lol
  • sp1212sp1212 Registered User Posts: 795 Member
    lol.............
  • jrt336jrt336 Registered User Posts: 1,044 Senior Member
    I worded my question poorly. Obviously they would hurt those who work for banks. But would they hurt, for example, consultant's salaries? Also, if they are nationalized, do you think it would only be temporary?
  • rybreadrybread Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    Yes, if they nationalized a small number of banks, it would only be temporary. Maybe the duration of a year or two. As of now, it doesn't appear that they will nationalize any of the banks. Small banks are beginning to repay the government lending, while large banks like Citi are requesting more cash. The government has various ways to influence banks, and I believe they will just buy a small portion of the banks. It won't be anything like nationalizing them. As for salary changes, I think the government nationalizing banks should be the least of your concerns if you’re in the financial sector. If you’re going to be in the sector in a year or two, take advantages of the opportunities you have. The stock market is so low and some stocks WILL go back up. Look at Bank of America. Today it's at three bucks. A year ago it was at fifty bucks....
  • sp1212sp1212 Registered User Posts: 795 Member
    Worry more about getting a job rather than your future salary.
  • hmom5hmom5 - Posts: 10,882 Senior Member
    Many choose between banking and consulting, so if banker's salaries go down, and they will for awhile, so will consultant's.
This discussion has been closed.