Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What pays more between Business Administration and Economics?

fn14fn14 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
edited June 2005 in Business Major
I have completed about three and a half semesters of college work and I am looking forward to transferring after about one more semester.

First, I was thinking about just taking both BA and Econ major classes so that I can apply for both majors at various universities.

However, I have learned that it is not good to transfer with a huge total of units, and also, there are different math reqirements for both majors, and if I wanted to apply fpr both I would have to take about six math courses in two semesters. Hell no.

So, what are thr main differences between Economics major and Business Administration? What pays more?

I really want to atten UCLA or UCI, and they only have majors in Econ, not BA.
Post edited by fn14 on

Replies to: What pays more between Business Administration and Economics?

• metaldrumr7metaldrumr7 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    one big reason why I am trying to attend USC, they have a good Business School
  • An0nym0u5An0nym0u5 Registered User Posts: 1,661 Senior Member
    business administration is like getting an MBA, except you have no career experience to apply it to. you would lack a specialty. economics however gives you a technical skill to offer a business. thats why a great many good schools dont have undergrad business schools.
    princeton doesn't offer undergrad Business Administration, and does just as well with i-banks. and better in other fields.
  • dcfcadcfca Registered User Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    But what you guys don't realize is that at some schools they have both. For example, UT Austin has Economics as a major but it also has an Under grad business school. The Economics majors are generally looked down upon as people who weren't able to make it into the business school.
    ah i gotcha. but the OP was referring to being disadvantaged by his/her prospective school not having a business administration major. theres no disadvantage there. harvard, yale, princeton, and stanford don't offer undergraduate business administration degrees. obviously they do fine in the pay department with econ degrees.

its not like you would really "administrate" anything with just a bachelors anyway, unless u started ur own business, in which case the degree wouldnt matter.
  • themegastudthemegastud Registered User Posts: 868 Member
    "business administration is like getting an MBA, except you have no career experience to apply it to. you would lack a specialty. economics however gives you a technical skill to offer a business. thats why a great many good schools dont have undergrad business schools."

Not true. The vast majority of Bus Admin programs force students to choose a specialty - finance, marketing, etc. If anything, it's much more applicable and focused than such a wide field like economics. However, top schools with econ programs have their students recruited just as heavily as top business schools.
    i second skierdude.

HYPS do not have undergrad business programs. nuff said. go ahead and tell them theyre doing something wrong.
  • harriharri Registered User Posts: 408 Member
    Here's some info on starting salaries, but starting salaries certainly won't determine long term income.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/04/15/pf/college/starting_salaries/
  • UntiltedUntilted Registered User Posts: 1,980 Senior Member
    oh also, the reason why the average starting salary for Biz Administration in the whole nation is so low is that even the ****tiest school has a Biz program, the 5000+ crap Biz programs drag down the average. but a top biz undergrad program is no joke
This discussion has been closed.