Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Does an accounting major have a chance in the fashion industry?

StarstuckStarstuck Registered User Posts: 337 Member
edited November 2010 in Business Major
I'm an accounting and information technology major. I want to become a CPA. But all my life I had a passion for fashion and wanted to be a fashion designer. The reason why I'm currently not pursing fashion design as a career, is because I don't have a portfolio and there is a better chance I can be an accountant than a top fashion designer for houses like Balenciaga, Chanel, and Dior.

I think if I become an accountant I can work for one of the fashion houses or magazines like Vogue, Harpers Bazzar, or Chanel. There I can become familiar with the company and maybe on the side I could work on sewing and possibly show them my designs. I will slowly climb the ladder, while working on my porfolio during my free time, outside my life as an accountant.

Yes, I might be ambitious. I'm working on my porfolio, drawing, and sewing skills. Accounting is my first thing I want to be an expert with (following the 10,000 rule or 8 years). Fashion design is my third.

How can I achieve this goal? Do I really have a chance to work in the fashion industry?

I would love to attend to New York Fashion Week. I plan on attending Parsons when I'm older. I would love to auditon for Project Runway, if they still have it.
Post edited by Starstuck on

Replies to: Does an accounting major have a chance in the fashion industry?

• txeagle1txeagle1 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    Two of my friends transitioned, albeit from different specialties. They both went to the Moore School at the University of South Carolina where one majored in Accounting and the other majored in Marketing.

The first worked at LVMH in Paris in their accounting department for a few years before moving into business development (expansion). He said this afforded him the ability to move into a higher position because he understood what was driving the business. He decided after a while that he was not meant for fashion and moved to Dom Perignon, where he now works.

The second worked at Gucci in New York, but more on the marketing side. She worked there for three years before applying and getting accepted to Parsons. She now works as a head designer for Chanel.

These are two success stories, but the fact is that if you want to be on the design side, you will need the technical skills, which requires schooling. An accounting degree would be ideal if you see yourself eventually in a management role, as non-business majors typically do not manage companies. You will be considerably older starting design school after four years of college, but you will certainly be better prepared and more well adjusted than the others. Hope that helps.
  • CoolbrezzeCoolbrezze Registered User Posts: 5,403 Senior Member
    You can make your way into the fashion industry that way, but may hold you back on being a true designer.
    Try watching " The City" aired on MTV, a few cast are identified as Public Relations etc...
  • Inmotion12Inmotion12 Registered User Posts: 1,042 Senior Member
    You don't really need any specific background for fashion. That's like saying an NBA player needs a sports degree to play in the NBA. It's all about talent and passion in industries like that. College degrees hardly matter.
  • LaurenHiLaurenHi Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello,
    I am also an accounting major and I was just wondering how your friends got such awesome jobs in the fashion industry. I want to be an accountant, but still work at some place related to fashion like Vogue or Gucci, since fashion is my passion. I am currently looking for an internship but can't find any for the accounting side of the fashion industry. I am a little stumped to how I can get my dream job as an accountant but still be around fashion. I would be extremely grateful if you could share with me how your friends went about getting such awesome jobs and how I could break into the industry.
    Thanks!
  • nj2011momnj2011mom Registered User Posts: 2,885 Senior Member
    Finish your accounting degree, get an accounting job in NYC and take a few classes at night at either Parsons or FIT to see if you are cut out for it. You could consider the management training program for a big retailer such as Macys. There are many administrative or staff jobs in the fashion industry that will put you close to the action. Being a top designer is probably harder than making it to partner in a top CPA firm.
This discussion has been closed.