Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

INSEAD, is it worth it?

storchstorch Registered User Posts: 291 Junior Member
edited November 2012 in Business School - MBA
Here is the context:
- Already working at one of the MBB consulting firms, do not need an MBA to advance
- Already in a post MBA position (actually was recently promoted and currently managing MBAs)
- Already have a non mba masters from to top 5 US university
- Interested in working in Asia or at least living in Asia for a bit (but probably not forever)
- High opportunity cost of foregone income (making over 200k per year)

Applied to and got into INSEAD (planning on Singapore if I go), can go there and return to the leading strategy consulting firm I am at or could leave and do something else (probably asset management, probably in asia), not sure I would leave, but might if the right opportunity came along.

Any thoughts from posters on this board if it's worth the lost income? (no career risk involved, but would also slow my progression by a year)

My preliminary thoughts of the value are as follows:
- New and interesting experience in a region of the world (Asia) I know little about
- Would learn a bit (but probably not a ton)
- Would make some very interest friends along the way
- Would allow an escape from this very intense, high pressure and travel lifestyle while I'm still young for a year
- Would be buying an option on a different career path (sort of, I could get an investments job without INSEAD)
- Would add a little bit of credibility to my resume, but only incrementally

Thoughts?
Post edited by storch on

Replies to: INSEAD, is it worth it?

• cbreezecbreeze Registered User Posts: 4,670 Senior Member
    If you are burnt out or tired with your present situation, go for it. It's hard to quantify objectively a new experience or time off.
This discussion has been closed.