Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

GPA Part Time vs. Full Time

gesswho810gesswho810 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited December 2012 in Business School - MBA
My first question is whether a person's GPA is viewed differently based on whether they are applying for a full-time vs. part-time program? Namely is it weighted lower in one situation in the overall admission process or is there a broader range of GPAs for one program over another?

My second question relates to my possible options given the following:

I had two years of my undergrad program at a community college where i held a 3.6 GPA. My last two years of my undergrad program I went to Stern NYU and held a 2.6 GPA. Will schools weigh both GPAs or only look at the last NYU GPA? Also, will there be any consideration for the fact that NYU Stern has a curve and therefore overall GPAs will be lower (granted not 2.6 low), but a 3.5 at another school may equate to a 2.9 at Stern. Some additional information, I've worked for seven years post graduation and have been promoted three times into middle management with direct reports. I am in the insurance/finance field in Manhattan. I've taken online courses fro continued education through UCLA and have held a 3.8 GPA for these ten plus courses. I haven't taken an official GMAT, but would not apply unless I could secure a 700+ GMAT score.

Given the above what are my realistic expectations in terms of getting into a school (top 25, second tier, etc)? I'm not looking to have a career change, so a part time program is much more appropriate for me if that helps.

Any information would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bren
Post edited by gesswho810 on

Replies to: GPA Part Time vs. Full Time

This discussion has been closed.