Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Is work experience really necessary to get into a top MBA program?

Replies to: Is work experience really necessary to get into a top MBA program?

• sakkysakky - Posts: 14,759 Senior Member
    I really can't back out of law school now! That would be crazy.

Uh, why not? Former Secretary of the Treasury Robert Rubin dropped out of Harvard Law School in his first year. He later ended up graduating from Yale Law and working for Cleary Gottlieb before jumping to Goldman Sachs, eventually becoming Co-Chairman of GS. If he can drop out of Harvard Law, then why is it so crazy for you to drop out or NW Law?

Like I said, I refuse to answer questions about my biography publicly, for privacy reasons. But trust me when I say that scores and grades matter little and MBA admissions are mostly based on work experience.
    After a post like that, Gigaman, you're not going to be around on CC much longer. It's been nice knowing you.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Super Moderator Posts: 24,125 Super Moderator
    Gigaman, Sakky is trying to help you out. He attends one of the very top MBA programs and knows more about MBA and Law schools than most of us, so you really should appreciate his input. You don't have to agree with what he says, but disrespectful language will no be tolerated on my watch.
    Gigaman, someone here is definitely "insecure", and it isn't Sakky.
    Alexandre, I wonder if I should tell him where I am now? Maybe that will shut him up once and for all.
  • rolen27rolen27 Registered User Posts: 360 Member
    Should I wait until after graduation (when Im working) to take the GMAT?
    Actually, I would say that you shoud take the GMAT while you're still in school, or at least right after you graduate. I did. The reason for that is that that is when you're at your academic and testing peak. After being out of school for a few years, you begin to lose your test-taking skills. Let's face it. Working at your job is not going to make you any better at taking that GMAT.

Of course the downside is that the GMAT is only good for 5 years, which is why I advocate delaying the GMAT to your senior year or right after you graduate (but before you start working), because that would give you the most time for the GMAT scores to be active and submittable to schools.
    I agree with Sakky on this one. I also took my LSAT and GRE during the sumer between my junior and senior years (in case I decided to apply to Law school or PhD programs my senior year) and I took my GMAT the summer right after my graduation. That's when students are at their academic best.
  • sallyawpsallyawp Registered User Posts: 2,059 Senior Member
    I, too, took my LSAT and GMAT during my second semester of senior year of undergrad, and I started my JD/MBA a few years later. It definitely would have been difficult to focus on taking those tests once I was working since it turned out that I worked long nights, weekends, etc. Taking the tests senior year was great, because taking practice tests just became part of my regular studying program.
  • bonafide20bonafide20 Registered User Posts: 434 Member
    I am bumping this thread because I found a link that could be useful:

http://kelley.iu.edu/mba/admissions/kaap.cfm

This may be worth considering if you have a good academic record (and are accepted to Indiana) and can land a job right after you graduate and keep it for at least two years.......then, you could begin your MBA at Indiana. You are basicaly offered a defered admissions option and all you have to do once accepted is work for a couple years full time.
  • rolen27rolen27 Registered User Posts: 360 Member
    how did you take it second semester of your senior year? It seems to me that wouldnt leave you with ample time to fill out your apps. I probably misread, clarification ?
  • Mr PayneMr Payne Registered User Posts: 8,850 Senior Member
    This thread is absolutely ridiculous. Gigaman is such a far fetched online persona that I'm thinking it must be a **** account. The thread itself is something which is a no brainer.
  • sallyawpsallyawp Registered User Posts: 2,059 Senior Member
    I took the LSAT/GMAT second semester senior year because I went out into the working world for a few years before heading back to school. I don't think that I would have gotten into my MBA program without the work experience.
  • CorporatefinanceCorporatefinance . Posts: 225 Junior Member
    Say if you have a part-time job (15-20h/w) and have a year salary on $34.800-49.200. Would this be seen as an "ok" WE granted that one has worked with this job (and will work for it) since senior year HS and through 3 year biz college? The company itself is a asset mgmt firm.
  • alicantekidalicantekid Registered User Posts: 1,239 Senior Member
    What part of "FULL TIME" do people not understand? Jeezus Christ.
This discussion has been closed.