Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Elite MBA Programs?

2»

Replies to: Elite MBA Programs?

• UCBUSCalumUCBUSCalum Registered User Posts: 982 Member
    that was my point in post #12, I believe the numbers in post #9 probably span over many years.
  • peterquillpeterquill Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    @uskoolfish, whether a CalState will 'hold back' the OP was not the question that the OP asked. As I had already explained in post #14 - and requoting the OP - the OP's specific question was "[will] my background will prevent me from getting into an elite program?" Clearly the data indicates that a CalState will not prevent one's admission to HBS.
    that was my point in post #12, I believe the numbers in post #9 probably span over many years.that was my point in post #12, I believe the numbers in post #9 probably span over many years.

So what? Again, the question that the OP asked was whether a CalState will prevent him from admission to HBS. A single counterexample would suffice.

To give you an analogy, if I ask the question of whether an integer that is prime is prevented from being an even integer, you would just need to find a single counterexample of a prime even integer.
    Your math analogy is irrelevant. Prime numbers in math is defined from theorems. The answer to the OP's question relates to statistics and probability of getting into an Elite MBA program. There is no clear definition/answer whether OP can get in an Elite program or not.
  • uskoolfishuskoolfish Registered User Posts: 2,951 Senior Member
    @peterquill Not having an undergraduate degree, not applying at all or being dead will all PREVENT someone from getting into an elite MBA program. You are playing with words. The intent of the OP's question is whether going to a state school will lessen their chance for admission.
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 7,441 Senior Member
    No graduating from a CSU will not prevent you from getting into an elite MBA program. Focus on taking the GMAT & getting over 700. The next thing you will need is 2 to 5 years of work experience. This is where a CSU degree might harm you because the feeder companies may not recruit at your campus. Try to get on with a Big Four.
    Not having an undergraduate degree...will... PREVENT someone from getting into an elite MBA program.

@uskoolfish, this particular assertion is false: Not having an undergraduate degree does not prevent one from being admitted to an elite MBA program.

"Though it is rare for HBS—or any other professional or graduate school—to admit a student who does not have an undergraduate degree, admissions officers made an exception for Blake Gottesman..."

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2006/5/22/bushs-personal-aide-to-enroll-at/
    Your math analogy is irrelevant. Prime numbers in math is defined from theorems.

And similarly, the word 'prevent' is defined as being to "keep something from happening" (according to Google). Clearly, as Publisher concurs in post #21, having a CSU degree does not prevent somebody from attending HBS.
    The intent of the OP's question is whether going to a state school will lessen their chance for admission.

Rather than imputing what we think the OP's intent is, perhaps it would be easier to simply ask him. I took his intent to being whether holding a CSU degree excludes him from admission to HBS. The evidence clearly indicates that it does no such thing.
    I agree that having a CSU degree does not prevent OP from being admitted to HBS or Stanford. I interpret the question as chance or probability for admission to top MBA school. Given that there are many applicants with impecable stats (high GPA, high GMAT, great work experience, etc.) applying to HBS/Stanford/Penn/MIT/Chicago, NW (top 5 or 6), OP's chances are stacked against him/her, especially if lacking the right work experience and perhaps lacking a good quality undergraduate degree from a highly competitive school. OP has a much better chance of admission from the lower group in the top 25 (i.e., USC, Texas, Georgetown, etc.).
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 26,675 Senior Member
    Are you using those numbers to say that going to a state school won't hold him back? Unfortunately I'm afraid those numbers tell the opposite story if they are from a span of many years.

Actually, they do support the point the Peter is making. Unfortunately, that is all that the data shows.

The fact is that CSU students, on average, are much poorer test takers than those who attend highly selective schools. In other words, Harvard and their ilk, which admit by SAT/ACT (among other things), will have much better test-takers. On average, they will do much better on the GMAT, and thus better on MBA admissions.

The other thing that the data do not show is the diversity factor, which is a plus factor in professional school admissions. (CSU's are much more diverse than the afore-mentioned top private colleges.)

This discussion has been closed.