right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

10 Business Schools With the Lowest Acceptance Rates

Dave_BerryDave_Berry 492 replies2432 discussionsCC Admissions Expert Posts: 2,924 Senior Member
"These schools accepted around 14 percent of MBA applicants on average for fall 2017, U.S. News data show." ...

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/the-short-list-grad-school/articles/10-business-schools-with-the-lowest-acceptance-rates
6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: 10 Business Schools With the Lowest Acceptance Rates

• PublisherPublisher 7381 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,457 Senior Member
    The top ten MBA programs with the lowest acceptance rates out of approximately 470 schools are:

1) Stanford
    2) Harvard
    3) MIT
    4) UCal-Berkeley
    5) Columbia

6) Univ. of Florida
    7) Penn State
    8) Yale
    9) Penn-Wharton
    10) Northwestern-Kellogg

But the list would change if based on placement & pay. (Harvard, Penn-Wharton & Northwestern-Kellogg might top that list.)
    · Reply · Share
  • perazzimanperazziman 2357 replies63 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,420 Senior Member
    I believe the highest paid MBAs last year were from MIT $286,000 ollowed by Harvard with $255,000. This according to articles I read on Business Insider and Bloomberg.
    · Reply · Share
  • shawbridgeshawbridge 5644 replies53 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,697 Senior Member
    If based upon average net worth at the end of the day, Stanford might be the winner as a significant percentage of their students take entrepreneurial paths, with lower initial salaries but attractive lottery tickets.
    · Reply · Share
  • cbreezecbreeze 4677 replies88 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,765 Senior Member
    edited January 15
    ^^ Not everyone succeeds at Stanford as many startups go bust.
    edited January 15
    · Reply · Share
  • shawbridgeshawbridge 5644 replies53 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,697 Senior Member
    ^Of course, @cbreeze. However, VC-backed co-founders in Silicon Valley seem to be pretty well paid. And big outliers in wealth would really affect the average. Stanford GSB alums have founded a lot of very successful companies. Trader Joe's, Charles Schwab, Nike, Trulia, eBay (Jeff Skoll was founding president), Trulia, OK Cupid, etc.

What does seem to exist there is an eco-system that substantially increases the probability of success.
    · Reply · Share
  • cbreezecbreeze 4677 replies88 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,765 Senior Member
    edited January 15
    And big outliers in wealth would really affect the average.
    Then you can say about Harvard, Wharton as well as they are older and more established B schools with lots of history of "old' money.
    Stanford GSB alums have founded a lot of very successful companies
    I know, I am an alum and I live in Silicon Valley.
    edited January 15
    · Reply · Share