Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Accepting an offer and paying the deposit without being 100% sure about the schools?

90girl90girl Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
Good morning.

I have applied to a couple of grad schools in Rounds 1 and 2 and have been accepted. I am currently applying to other schools for Round 3.
The problem is that the deposits for the schools I have already been accepted to are due in a week, but I will not have heard back from the other schools.
I don't want to take a risk by rejecting these offers so I don't know what I should do. Should I accept these offers and pay the deposits for now as I wait for a decision from the other schools? I have heard that accepting an offer and paying a deposit then changing your mind is frowned upon and you may even get blacklisted by the university, is that true?

Thanks.

Replies to: Accepting an offer and paying the deposit without being 100% sure about the schools?

  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 15,489 Senior Member
    Is this a Ph.D. program or a professional program e.g. MBA? If an MBA program they could probably care less and just keep your deposit. If a Ph.D. program faculty often talk to each other.
  • hophop Registered User Posts: 942 Member
    Consider phoning the school(s) and asking for an extension.
    If you do, provide them with a firm date that you will get back to them by.

    Example: Schools A & B have said you must respond by 2/15 or lose your spot. You're still waiting to hear from School C, who've said that their results won't be available until 3/1. You would phone Schools A & B and ask for an extension within just a couple of days after getting the results.
    They may say no, but most school will allow this if they feel that you're taking them seriously.
    Another option in this circumstance, is to phone School C to confirm when their results are expected, letting them know you have two other offers on the table but are holding off responding to wait for them. Not as a threat or to imply that you're in demand, but to make sure you have all of the correct facts to act responsibly to all parties.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 29,312 Senior Member
    edited January 30
    What type of program is this?

    How confident do you feel about your list for Round 3?

    How happy are you with any of the places that you have been admitted to so far? Pretend that the offers on your table are the only ones you are going to get. Which of those do you like best? If you don't particularly like any of them, would you prefer to wait a year and apply to a new list instead? Remember that it is perfectly OK for you to just say "Thank's so much for your kind offer of admission, but my plans have changed for the coming year."
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 7,287 Senior Member
    I assume that this is referring to MBA programs since 3 rounds is quite common.
  • 90girl90girl Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    @TomSrOfBoston It is an an MBA program.
  • 90girl90girl Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    @happymomof1 I am not very confident about the Round 3 list. That's why I was thinking about accepting an offer from the previous schools just to be safe. I am actually happy with the offers I have but there's no harm in trying to go for something better.
  • Collegesurfer093Collegesurfer093 Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    I think it's fine to accept an offer and then tell the school that you have changed your plans. The worst that will happen is that they will keep your deposit. No blacklisting or anything like that.
  • RoaringMiceRoaringMice Registered User Posts: 662 Member
    For masters programs, you'd accept one offer and pay the deposit, to hold your place. If you get into another school, you lose your deposit at school #1, but that's it. This is commonly done.
Sign In or Register to comment.