right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Optional Pass / Fail Policy

longhorn1998longhorn1998 2 replies1 threads New Member
I am a senior in college (about to graduate in a week). Not counting this semester, I have a cumulative 4.0 GPA. It looks like I will be getting my first A- this semester.

My university set forth an optional pass / fail policy on a course-by-course basis. I'm not sure if I should pass / fail the class and keep my 4.0 or just keep everything on a letter-grade basis and get a 3.99 cumulative GPA for undergrad.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
4 replies
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Optional Pass / Fail Policy

• itsgettingreal21itsgettingreal21 330 replies5 threads Member
    Take the A-. There’s no difference between a 3.99 and a 4.0. And a 4.0 with an optional pass is a 4.0*.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 10213 replies119 threads Senior Member
    I think if you take the P, it would be assumed you did worse than an A-. Take the letter grade.
    · Reply · Share
  • longhorn1998longhorn1998 2 replies1 threads New Member
    edited May 17
    @itsgettingreal21 and @momofsenior1 thanks so much for your advice!

I should have prefaced this earlier, but an extenuating circumstance arose at home (a domestic violence incident) before the final for the class I got an A- in. This circumstance was exacerbated by the pandemic and significantly impacted my grade on the final; therefore, I'm not sure if I should pass / fail and explain the extenuating circumstance in the optional essay when I apply to grad school or take the 3.99. Thanks in advance!
    edited May 17
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 10213 replies119 threads Senior Member
    I’m sorry you had that situation but you don’t need to explain an A- grade.
    · Reply · Share