Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

How to Get an Internship with a Top IBank

Replies to: How to Get an Internship with a Top IBank

• bobby100bobby100 - Posts: 1,048 Senior Member
    Varsity, high profile sport, star. Think Duke Basketball star, Stanford QB, Tiger....
  • the_prestigethe_prestige Registered User Posts: 2,185 Senior Member
    Varsity, high profile sport, star. Think Duke Basketball star, Stanford QB, Tiger....

I hope you are being sarcastic.

Would anyone in their right mind think about going to b-school if you were a once in a generation talent like Tiger Woods? The guy makes millions of dollars off of endorsements alone - his Nike endorsement is a cool $100 million - this is not counting his PGA tour winnings which top $60 million to date...

Give me a break. You don't need to be a Duke basketball star or Stanford QB either...
    Of course you don't have to be, but it's something that greatly helps. Firms love to trot out start athletes for a game of golf with clients or to comment in their box at football games. Just like they like to hire high profile former government people and children of the rich and famous (who will get Ivanka Trump?).

This is an industry of connected, beautiful, multi talented people. What it takes to become a sports star has a lot in common with the tenacity and never say die attitiude Wall St. requires. I have known MDs who only hire people who have played team sports. The guys with strong handshakes who lead easily and think fast on their feet.

Don't underestimate how many successful professional athletes get grad degrees and go into business. They usually aren't the quant stars, but they are rainmakers. The smart ones want to do more than smile into a camera upon retirement. Firms start courting them early on offering off season jobs. My bank presently has 2.

There's even a group of former high profile football players who run a silicon valley VC fund.
  • dyip10dyip10 Registered User Posts: 532 Member
    A lot of Duke Basketball stars play for the NBA. Stanford sucks at football. If you're as good as tiger, you should make millions going pro. Most athletes aren't smart enough to be investment bankers, and most investment bankers weren't varsity athletes in college. Not to mention a lot of IBs graduated from the Ivy League and the Ivy League isn't exactly known for its superior athletics.
    who will get Ivanka Trump?
    She makes a lot of money working for her dad.
  • eventuallyeventually Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    As far as Ivy athletes, of the 19 seniors that graduated from my football team in 2006, all but 4 are working in NYC as analysts at different firms.
    the other 4:
    1 was a rhodes scholar finalist, but deferred admission to Harvard to play for the Jets.
    2 went to law school and the other is completing his engineering degree

Ivy athletes do very well post graduation, and many many end up on or around Wall Street.
  • the_prestigethe_prestige Registered User Posts: 2,185 Senior Member
    1 was a rhodes scholar finalist, but deferred admission to Harvard to play for the Jets.

I take it you went to Brown?

Congrats on the Ivy Football Championship (were you on the team?) - I hope Nick Hartigan has as much success as he did in the Ivies.
    Eventually says it all. There are so few analyst positions and he's talking 15 from one team at one school. That there is a type is an understatement. When I ,meet someone who doesn't fit the type-school, looks, activities-I ask who his dad is.
  • eventuallyeventually Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm on the team with some downtime at my summer internship. It was great year and hopefully we will repeat. Nick Hartigan is one of the smartest/craziest/most driven people I've ever met and we are all hoping for his continued success with the Jets. I doubt I will ever be on any NFL practice squad but I love the opportunities and connections one can gain outside of sports by playing and being a part of this league.
  • S2584S2584 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    i already graduated from college and do IT for a financial services company. I plan on going to business school in 3-4 years. If I want to get into investment banking, how would I go about doing that? I will not have any work experience in finance. WIll I start out as an analyst or associate?

Lets assume I get into a top 20 B school and get a good GPA too.
  • dyip10dyip10 Registered User Posts: 532 Member
    Are intramural sports any good if you are attending a Div 1 school? (you have to be insanely good to be on varsity).
  • RepeteARepeteA Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    "SEO is unneeded if you're at a target school, which he is."

WRONG
  • dcfcadcfca Registered User Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    "SEO is unneeded if you're at a target school, which he is."

WRONG

If he can get his internship through UCB then there's no need for him to do SEO where he may be faced with co-workers who feel the only reason he was admitted was due to being a minority.

UCB is a target and places quite well. A good number of investment banks-- even elite boutiques (lazard) recruit there, especially to fill their west coast offices. So -you- are the one that's wrong.
  • guguruguguru Registered User Posts: 407 Member
    From the pictures of employee profiles on ibank websites, the people dont' look good looking at all. And what really is the point of being physically fit to enter ibanking, theyr'e going to get fat when theyre analysts, it won't really matter. I do think that athletes do tend to have higher confidence, so that might be a key factor, but you don't need that to be confident, and the places where the real money is made requires more brains than brawn anyways.
  • dcfcadcfca Registered User Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    And what really is the point of being physically fit to enter ibanking, theyr'e going to get fat when theyre analysts, it won't really matter.

Typically if you're more fit you'll be able to work longer without being tired (good for all nighters). A lot of banks have gyms inside which helps with that.
  • sammy101sammy101 Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    ^do anaylsts/associates ever have free time during the day to use the gym or is it only MDs or people in other departments that get time to use it?
This discussion has been closed.