Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

my first year GPA is bad...

wutangfinancialwutangfinancial Registered User Posts: 808 Member
edited April 2007 in Business School - MBA
my first year GPA is crap after transferring from a bad state school in the U.S. to McGill. I did well in some classes, but I'm not use to the exam/evaluation style here (this is my first time taking end of year finals of this intensity), although I know I'm intellectually capable of doing well in the future. In other words, this semester was a wake up call after a decent fall semester.

If I do well the next couple of years, and explain why I had trouble adapting, will I be able to salvage a chance at decent B-schools? Again, I'm not looking to be an academic. I score above average, but not super amazingly on standarized tests (SATs were in the 1400 range). My plans are to work for Fidelity as a service rep after undergrad for a few years, and then get my MBA when I'm 25-26. I don't need a top 10 MBA, but a top 50 MBA would be crucial. Should I give up, or just try really hard the next two years?
Post edited by wutangfinancial on

Replies to: my first year GPA is bad...

• dallas808dallas808 Registered User Posts: 768 Member
    Not at all. You have a perfect reason for a bad semester as long as it is not the beginning of a downward trend. Try to get your GPA back to B+ range, you are in a good shape. Then work on your GMAT, 3-4 times if needed, to at least beat the class profile of your targeted schools.

Sound like you have a good post college plan. Just keep in mind that most top b-schools love excellent work/leadership experience.

p/s: How social life @ McGill?
  • wutangfinancialwutangfinancial Registered User Posts: 808 Member
    ^social life at McGill is incredible...I love how hot the girls are.
  • dallas808dallas808 Registered User Posts: 768 Member
    I see the reason of the bad semester. Distraction! :)
This discussion has been closed.