Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Workload for B-school?

ThaitanThaitan Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
edited May 2007 in Business School - MBA
I tried searching for this but the search thing is messed up right now.

Anyways, I was wondering what was the course work load was like? I've heard there are things dued like every other week. Is there any big papers you have to write? Is there a lot of projects?

Sorry if this was asked a million times!
Post edited by Thaitan on

Replies to: Workload for B-school?

• Mr PayneMr Payne Registered User Posts: 8,850 Senior Member
    Interesting question. I'd like this to be answered as well.
  • ThaitanThaitan Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member

Come on guys!
  • sallyawpsallyawp Registered User Posts: 2,059 Senior Member
    I didn't find business school to be too challenging (at least not compared to the job I had before business school), though the number of group projects is out of control. You will find that you are constantly running from meeting to meeting, getting together with one group after another, to get your work done. There are papers, too.
  • Mr PayneMr Payne Registered User Posts: 8,850 Senior Member
    Like how many group projects might be going on at one time? 4? 5? 6?
    The number of group projects varies, but it can be extremely time consuming. Yes, it can be four or more group projects at a time.
  • wutangfinancialwutangfinancial Registered User Posts: 808 Member
    that actually sounds like fun
    It can be fun. It can also be tough when not everyone in your group is willing to work hard to do well. Some people just expect to be carried through life, I suppose. It can also be quite difficult when all of your group projects have to get done on the same timeline and each of your groups needs to get together at the same time. Finding times that work for each member of the group can be quite a challenge.
  • WildflowerWildflower Registered User Posts: 1,254 Senior Member
    Sallyawp - did you find most b-schoolers to be job-search oriented or was there a substantial percentage of academically oriented students? In other words, did you find any academic value in the MBA program (beyond the networking and credentials) in comparrison to your JD? It sounds as if people at, say, your alma mater (B-school) can get again with doing the bare minimum; consequently, lowering their effort and initiative towards projects, etc. Would love to hear your thoughts on this.
    The majority of my classmates at business school were there to party, find good jobs and perhaps learn a little something along the way. Most of my classmates were very accomplished by the time they began business school, so the approach tended to be less about books and studying and more about sharing experiences and learning from each other. (Yet another reason why most business schools do not accept very many students without substantial work experience, and a reason why you may not want to attend a business school that does admit too many students without substantial work experience.)

I did find academic value in business school, mainly for the classes outside of my comfort zone, either because of the substantive areas being discussed (management, for example) or because of the industries that were the focus of discussions. There are people who do their best to get away with doing the bare minimum. In fact, at my business school, there was a non-traditional grading system that put most students in one big bucket together, with smaller groups of students getting higher and lower grades. So, as long as you ended up in the big bucket, you were fine. In addition, my business school had a grade non-disclosure policy for on campus recruiting, and it was up to students whether or not to give a copy of their resumes to recruiters. Overall, there was little emphasis on grades.

In my opinion, business school is not the place for the guy who studied 24/7 and got a 4.0 in college, and who didn't bother to work on his everyday life and social skills. Then again, that same guy may not have done well enough at his job after graduation from college to warrant the recommendations that open the doors to top business schools. It's hard to say. Business school is mostly not academic in the way that studying for an AP test, doing a chemistry experiment or meeting with a professor to discuss the textbook analysis might be. Some classes, like financial accounting or securities regulation, may have right and wrong answers. Business school, for the most part, though, is about bringing a combination of experiences and learnings to bear on the problems at hand, and trying to determine what the best course of action is based on the facts.
  • ThaitanThaitan Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    Thanks a lot for all the information. It helped a lot!
This discussion has been closed.