Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

small university student aspiring to attend top MBA school

Dhawking919Dhawking919 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
edited June 2007 in Business School - MBA
I would like to know my chances of getting into the following schools to pursue a MBA:
Yale University
University of Chicago
UNC-chapel hill
Michigan state University
Boston University

Here is my background:
Connecticut Resident
Rising senior @ Post University
major: Management
Concentrations: Sports
Minors: Information Systems, Accounting, and Mathematics
105 credits cgpa 3.39
24 credits major gpa 3.68
GMAT 680
extracurricular: 3 year starter division II Soccer & baseball( co-captain for 2008 season), Vice President of student government(Senior class President for 2007-08), Accounting Society-Vice president, Resident Assistant for two years, and orientation Leader for 3 years.

I have 8 courses to take in this coming year which include: Calculus II, Calculus III, Seminar in MGT, Physics II, Systems MGT, World Civ I, World Civ II, and Principles of Sociology. My realistic goal is to raise my gpa to a 3.45 and my major gpa to a 3.75 before I graduate.
Post edited by Dhawking919 on

Replies to: small university student aspiring to attend top MBA school

• DukeAlum03DukeAlum03 Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    Right now you have about a 0% chance of getting into Yale, Chicago, Columbia,Chicago, UNC, Georgetown.

Get some good work experience. Around 3-5 years.
  • tomslawskytomslawsky Registered User Posts: 1,378 Senior Member
    Your school offers a math minor by just taking calc 1,2 and 3?
  • Dhawking919Dhawking919 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    nope you need 15 credits from mat 130 Pre Calculus and on.....

I took Precal, Mat 220 Quantitative Analysis, Mat 220 Statistics I, and Mat 154 Calculus I, I just need Calc II to get the minor. Post U doesn't offer calculus III so I have to take it at the Community College down the street.
    That is the easiest math minor ever!
    yeah I know thats why I took advantage of it!
  • Mr PayneMr Payne Registered User Posts: 8,850 Senior Member
    0% at top schools. I've seen better resumes get rejected from the exact same schools.
    The problem is your GPA is low at a tier 4 school. It also seems like your course load is weak. If you get some good work experience you might have a chance at a top 50 school.
    so what your saying is that right now I have no shot at a top 50 school right out of undergrad?
  • Pat2323Pat2323 Registered User Posts: 635 Member
    Definately no chance at the schools you have listed.
    well do you think I would have a chance at Quinnipiac or Boston University?
  • suzesuze - Posts: 4,479 Senior Member
    Get some work experience. You have a solid GMAT and OK GPA. With success at a good job you'll get a much better MBA than you could now.
  • roto56roto56 Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    with no work experience you'll not get into any decent mba program.
  • TiburonTiburon Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I graduated from Post back when it was Teikyo Post University in 2003. I had a 3.566 and my Gmat was around a 600 but I also had an internship my senior year. I was accepted to every Grad school I applied to and ended up going to UT Austin. In 2006, I graduated with an MBA from the Prestigious McCombs School of Business. It seems to me that your on the track to become a sports agent. I think you have a good shot at getting into BU, UNC, MSU, and UC but Yale and Columbia might be a bit of a reach. BTW don't give into the hype, I know a lot of people who graduated from TPU and have or are working on receiving their MBA from a tier 1 school.
  • TheWhartonSchoolTheWhartonSchool - Posts: 90 Junior Member
    You have no shot at those schools right now. Go get solid work experience for a few years.
  • DawgieDawgie Registered User Posts: 1,576 Senior Member
    Am I missing something? Are you planning on getting an MBA as soon as you graduate from undergrad?
This discussion has been closed.