Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What are my chances of getting into Cal Poly Pomona?

rr0066rr0066 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
edited November 2012 in Cal Poly Pomona
First of all, I want to major in Electrical Engineering. Here are my stats:

I had around a 3.6 GPA in freshman year, but I got all A's throughout Sophomore Year and took one honors course that year, and in 1st semester Junior Year, I took 2 APs and 2 honors and got all A's except for a B in AP English. I'm also taking an Engineering class, in which I got an A. My weighted GPA is around 4.3.

Additionally, I have an officer position of "Events Manager" for the Neuroscience Club at my school, I'm in French Honor Society, and I'm a member of various clubs such as Science Club, French Club, and Speech and Debate. (I haven't done anything for Speech and Debate, though, but I am still a member.)
I also volunteer at a local mosque, and I have volunteered at my local library, as well.

I plan to retake the SAT this coming October and hopefully get a score of 2100+

And in Senior Year, I plan to take 4 APs, one being AP Computer Science A, and 1 honors class.

So, what do you guys think? What kind of chance do I have of getting into Pomona as an Electrical Engineering major, with the few Extra-Curricular Activities that I do?

*All help is appreciated, please and thank you!!!
Post edited by rr0066 on

Replies to: What are my chances of getting into Cal Poly Pomona?

• CEinCaliCEinCali Registered User Posts: 151 Junior Member
    For both Cal Polys (SLO & Pomona) always refer to the unweighted GPA and the SAT portions in math and reading (no writing needed). Also extracurriculars are not needed.

The average unweighted GPA in the College of Engineering at CPP is 3.51 and the average GPAs are 1156 (out of 1600). Since this number includes non-impacted engineering technology (a.k.a. technician-like majors), it's probably fair to say that entering GPAs and SATs for electrical engineering are higher.

With this in consideration, for your major I would say that an unweighted GPA of 3.60 and SATs of 1600 out of 1900 (approx. 2000 out of 2400) will make you competitive.

Good luck.
  • bl4ke360bl4ke360 Registered User Posts: 712 Member
    Well I got in last year to computer engineering with much lower stats (3.1 GPA, 1210 out of 1600 SAT)
  • x14stax14sta Registered User Posts: 145 Junior Member
    As this is said before, your extra-curricular activities and community service hours aren't a factor of consideration at CPP. (I'm not saying stay away from them, but be aware of it).

Totally different thing but, @Bl4ke, did you get waitlisted last year? :$
  • CEinCaliCEinCali Registered User Posts: 151 Junior Member
    @bl4ke360

Hence the notion of using the term... "average". In the statistical sense, you are an outlier.
  • bl4ke360bl4ke360 Registered User Posts: 712 Member
    Totally different thing but, @Bl4ke, did you get waitlisted last year? :$

No, and most people got accepted in March last year as well so this year seems quite a bit different.
  • jokkiiijokkiii Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I have a 3.5 Cal State GPA as i calculated
    a 1940 on SAT
    can i get in to pomona?
This discussion has been closed.