Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Kellogg Honors College invitation

Replies to: Kellogg Honors College invitation

• soleilviesoleilvie Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    ocmomof3: Apologies for taking so long to reply... I can't tell you what the likelihood is of her being accepted. It doesn't matter that she's a freshman; there are quite a few freshman in Honors. They don't send that invitation to just anyone so please encourage her to apply. At this point it really just comes down to her application/essays. There's nothing to lose. I don't understand why some people wouldn't apply after getting an invitation!
  • obravoobravo Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    I just submitted my application, good luck to everyone!

BTW does anyone know how many freshmen apply and are admitted every year? In other words the acceptance rate for freshmen.
  • Kuri88Kuri88 Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    @obravo

I took a self-guided tour of the campus in January. The guy I met at the Honors College told me that there are about 200 members out of an undergraduate population of around 16,000. I don't really know about the acceptance rate for freshmen specifically but I hope this helps.
    I've got to say I'm a bit bummed that they moved back the timeline for admissions decisions from mid-March to April. I wonder why that is. Not that I'm upset or anything, I'm just really anxious to hear back from the Honors College. Anyone else nervous? Good luck everyone!
    ^ I fee the same, I think they want to wait until most people pay their enrollment conf. so they only admit people who are actually going there. Or maybe they just received more applications than expected. Anyhow april is not that far away ;)
  • KhuloodKhulood Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    are you saying that if i didnt pay my enrollment yet i wont get in? :( I didnt pay yet cause I only want to go if I get honors
    Well, good news everyone~! I emailed the Honors College with an inquiry today. I was told by Academic Coordinator Won Choi that they hope to notify students about the admissions decisions by the end of next week or the first week of April. Either way, the suspense will end very soon~! :D
    I found out that today my application was incomplete because for some reason, my teacher's letter of recommendation didn't go through. I spoke to Academic adviser Won Choi about it and he said that they forwarded my application anyway for review and it shouldn't affect my chances of getting a merit scholarship.

That means it wont affect my chances of getting in, right?
    @Khulood Hopefully not. Though to be absolutely sure you could ask Won Choi about that specifically.
    Well I mean here was my wording:
    Will this affect my chances at all of getting a merit scholarship? Or getting in?

And here is Won Choi's response:

Hello Khulood,

It will not affect your chances of being offered a merit scholarship. I heard you left a voice message inquiring about the letter of recommendation today. I presume my emails answered your questions. If not, please reply to this email. Have a good day.
    For the most part, it sounds like he's telling you that you're safe. Your honors application was still put forth for review, which would also mean you are being considered for the Honors Fellowship. The two apps are one. If you still feel unsure, you have been encouraged to reply and ask. I know I've pestered them with extra questions to make sure I was on the safe side. It's up to you if you want to make absolute certain or leave things be.
    I dont want to bother them too much anymore, and I have a friend who goes there who's gonna go ask on my behalf in person :) but thanks for calming my fears.. I am in love with Cal Poly Pomona and really, REALLY, REAALLLLYLYLLYY want to go to their honors.
    Especially with the honors fellowship.
    Do you by chance know the average GPA for an honors student as of recently? I sit at a 4.54 (4.64 now but that doesnt matter) and wondered where that fell into test scores wise
    You're welcome. I hope you get everything sorted out. :) Though from the looks of your GPA I'd say you're pretty much guaranteed to get in. The Honors College webpage had a table that compared the low, high, and average GPAs and SAT/ACT scores of the honors students. They took it down around the time that the application opened up though. I can't remember all of the information that was on that table but you're definitely on the higher end. I think the high for GPA was around 4.6 or 4.5.
    Thank you! you've restored my hope! It really means a lot
    I applied with a 4.1 but apparently their decision goes beyond GPA. I know a student who applied with a 4.5 and 2220 SAT and got rejected; ended up going to UCI and got in their honors program, weird...

By the way the stats for incoming freshman admitted are 3.8 low, 4.0 med. and 4.6 high
    SAT low 550, 550, low 630, and high 800.
This discussion has been closed.