Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is the CSU Tiered Like the UC System?

drjdrj Registered User Posts: 510 Member
edited February 2011 in Cal Poly Pomona
just wondering what readers think about the relative strengths of the 23 CSU campuses.

it is commonly agreed that there are three tiers within the UC system: top, UCB, UCLA, UCSD; middle, UCSB, UCD, UCI; bottom, UCSC, UCR, UCM.

how would readers rank order the CSUs into tiers?
Post edited by drj on

Replies to: Is the CSU Tiered Like the UC System?

• drjdrj Registered User Posts: 510 Member
    someone else asked this question on another link and some lively discussion on the other board.
  • calpolygaycalpolygay Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    I think it's tiered into four: (based on opinion)

*Top tier:
    1. Cal Poly SLO
    2. Cal Poly Pomona
    3. San Diego State

*Tier-2:
    4. Long Beach State
    5. Chico State
    6. Cal State Fullerton
    7. Humboldt State
    8. Sonoma State

*Tier-3:
    9. San Jose State
    10. Fresno State
    11. Cal Maritime

Tier-4
    12. Monterrey Bay
    13. Stanislaus
    14. San Francisco
    15. Sacramento
    16. San Bernardino
    17. Northridge
    18. San Marcos
    19. Los Angeles
    20. East Bay
    21. Dominguez Hills
    22. Bakersfield
    23. Channel Islands
  • egmontusegmontus Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    @calpolygay

I couldn't agree more. I would also add that the top tier CSUs (SLO, Pomona, SDSU) have surpassed bottom level UCs (Riverside, Merced, Santa Cruz) and are at par with mid level UCs depending on the major.
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap Registered User Posts: 11,788 Senior Member
  • calpolygaycalpolygay Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    ^Woops sorry for reviving such an old thread. I got to it from a Google search. =X

In any case, I think the Poly's and SDSU (the only research university in the CSU) are arguably the top.

Followed by a pack that includes two large commuter campuses (CSUF, CSULB) and two smaller residential colleges (Humboldt, Chico) and a liberal arts college (Sonoma).

Then two recognizable universities more for athletics than academics (Fresno State, San Jose State) and the only Maritime academy in the western United States (Cal Maritime).

The last tier consists of local campuses that act like massive community colleges (not that it's anything wrong... it's quite admirable to proudly serve a community).
  • mezaruben93mezaruben93 Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    5, 7 and 8 should be moved down to tier 3. Fullerton should be the only tier 2, because Long Beach State is now considered a tier 1.
  • CEinCaliCEinCali Registered User Posts: 151 Junior Member
    From tier 4, just Sac State and Monterrey Bay are worth mentioning, here's my take:

*Top tier:
    1. Cal Poly SLO
    2. Cal Poly Pomona
    3. San Diego State
    4. Long Beach State

*Tier-2:
    5. Humboldt State
    6. Sonoma State
    7. Chico State

*Tier-3:
    8. Cal State Fullerton
    9. San Jose State
    10. Sac State
    11. Monterrey Bay
    I'm asking here because CSUMB gets no attention elsewhere.

Teledramatic Arts | CSUMB Catalog at CSUMB vs Production (Film & Television) at Loyola Marymount.

Lets say the 'rents can come up with it, but given the odds for gainful employment ( vs say the second choice engineering major applied for with the other applications),with a great deal more..."oversight" at the school with the higher cost of attendance.

CSUMB http://catalog.csumb.edu/general-information/financial-aid/financial-need
    Loyola Marymount http://financialaid.lmu.edu/General_Information/Undergraduate_Cost_of_Attendance.htm

Any thoughts?
  • CEinCaliCEinCali Registered User Posts: 151 Junior Member
    Film and Television?... Teledramatic Arts? No offense, but I don't know if I would spend 20k/year (let alone 50k/year) on either one. My aunt (~40 years old) went for something similar to USC and she ended up returning to a community college to do nursing. :/

Probably CSUMB, because of the costs...
  • actionaction Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Apparently your aunt wasn't very successful, or lost interest, in her initially chosen career. That certainly doesn't mean others should avoid it. USC's film school is considered the best in the world in most ratings. And LMU is high on those same lists.
    FWIW, my brother does pretty well in film, and has my sons ear, so....Turns out son also applied to SD State for TELEVISION, FILM AND NEW MEDIA (http://theatre.sdsu.edu/html/academics/tfmbs.htm) as well. Anybody know about the SDSU program?
  • Mikey7Mikey7 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I don't know what your definition of tiered is but all the UCs are tier 1 universities.
This discussion has been closed.