Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
RacheezyRacheezy Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited March 2011 in Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
This is kindof long but i'll try to make it as short as possible. I got into Cal Poly SLO, ASU, and UCSC so far. My Top choice was UCSB but I got denied. I'm pretty much leaning towards SLO but it's not very good for my major (English), and ASU has a great reputation for my major but SLO has such a better reputation than ASU. I guess I could always appeal to UCSB but I don't know if it's really that important to me.

So...I guess I'm just asking, could someone tell me what Cal Poly is like? Atmosphere, Social Life, People. And same with UCSB?

I really don't see myself at UCSC, but it has that UC factor, and ASU has no prestige...but..I guess I just need some opinions...

Any kind of response would be greatly appreciated!!
Post edited by Racheezy on

Replies to: Hmm Help?

• IndieRockNRollIndieRockNRoll Registered User Posts: 304 Member
    Hi Racheezy,

I can tell you that we're in very similar boats (at least if your appeal goes through at UCSB). I'm waiting to hear back from UCLA and if I get in, I'm going to have a huge dilemma trying to figure out which school to go to (UCLA or Cal Poly SLO).

I'm also an English major and have been worried to death about how well reputed Cal Poly is in regards to my major. I have worked my butt off to have lots and lots of options as a transfer student and I honestly wasn't even expecting to get into Cal Poly. I live about 45 minutes away, my boyfriend will be going there this Fall, and it's a lot cheaper than a UC, so as you can see there's a LOT I like about Cal Poly already. By the way, SLO is amazing! It definitely depends on your preferences but I would choose it over UCSB. I got into UCSB and they even offer their English BA at my community college ( you take classes by UCSB professors at the community college and get your BA through UCSB. ) They only do this for the English and History major at my community college. I would still pick Cal Poly over them.

It's really hard that there just doesn't seem to be a very good rep for the liberal arts at Cal Poly. I'm trying really hard to double major there after I transfer (English and Communications) and so I'm hoping that this will help the "reputation" of the school a little more.

Cal Poly is extremely competitive in all aspects so I do think that job seekers keep this in mind. Would you be a freshman or transfer student?
This discussion has been closed.