Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

When does Class Registration Start?

danzagadanzaga Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
edited June 2011 in Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
I'm on the calpoly portal but it's a bit confusing. Are they going to email us when registration is open?
Post edited by danzaga on

Replies to: When does Class Registration Start?

• NBrinkNBrink Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    I want to say that open registration starts in (August maybe?) Continuing students have already registered. New students are block registered.
  • slc1178slc1178 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    you should have gotten an email about a week ago asking for your GE preferences
  • polyME2014polyME2014 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    If you are an incoming freshman then you will be blocked into your first quarter classes and your schedule will be made available to you during SOAR this summer. If you are not happy with the classes they provide for you, you will have the option of adding/dropping classes during Open Registration.
  • surfbuffsurfbuff Registered User Posts: 158 Junior Member
    what about transfer students? do they get block schedules?
  • bjornredtailbjornredtail Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
  • oldmanpolyoldmanpoly Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Transfer students do not receive block schedules. Check with your department for a four-year flowchart and try to fill in with classes you need. There was some good information on my major department web page.

I had a late rotation and missed out on some classes I needed for fall, so make sure you are flexible if having to schedule in August.
  • TrelathikaTrelathika Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    bjornredtail: thanks for posting the link to registration times. The link shows a table called 'New Undergraduate students' with registration times of Aug 16-18. Isn't this when Freshman would enroll?
  • bjornredtailbjornredtail Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    Ah, right. You see, there are various rotations based on your last name:
    Registration Rotations Schedule Fall 2011 New Students - Office of the Registrar - Cal Poly

New freshmen have the option of swapping classes (or grabbing up to 16 units) as appropriate during their window, with a few exceptions (some sections are for majors only or give priority to majors prior to open enrollment). When August 22 rolls around, those classes open up and you are allowed to register for up to 22 units.

Now, I've already registered, so right now that August 22 date is all that matters to me. I can't even touch my schedule until then. In some ways that puts you at a bit of a disadvantage, but we generally aren't hunting the same classes.
This discussion has been closed.