Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Anyone have questions about anything?

Replies to: Anyone have questions about anything?

• mkonjibhumkonjibhu Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    the one thing i would make SURE to do is check the AP scores that are accepted for each test and maybe call cal poly and ask if they satisfy requirements for your major. You wouldn't want to put all that work in and not get the credit you want!!!
  • cpsloclassof2016cpsloclassof2016 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Right now I am deciding on housing. I know for at least the first two years I will be living on campus. I want to meet a lot of new ppl. I am social, but I also like to have a little privacy (ie-studying). Right now all of he dorms are open options for me. I really do like the idea of living in the Cerro Vista apartments my first year b/c of the fact I would have my own room, it has a full kitchen, and I only have to share a bathroom w/ two other ppl. But I've heard it's really hard to meet ppl in Cerro Vista. Did you meet most of your friends in the dorms you lived in or classes? I want to meet a lot a ppl, but if you don't really hangout with other ppl in the same hall as you, Cerro Vista would be my first choice. My other question is where did you study most often? In your dorm? Library? Common room? B/c if you study mostly outside your dorm it seems to me it would be pointless to live in Cerro Vista and just study with study groups. But if you do study in your dorm, sometimes you might get paired up with a bad roommate. I am a very organized person and i know if i get a roommate that is messy, that might just drive me nuts! (but hey, thats college :)) Hopefully this isn't too much load for you. I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice. Thanks, I appreciate the time you're giving up to answer these questions.
  • NTKS17NTKS17 Registered User Posts: 549 Member
    I didn't really meet that many people living in cerro, but I'm not exactly the most outgoing person..I mostly studied/study in my room/apartment, but occasionally in the library. Cerro has a common area. It's a separate building where like the front desk and mailboxes are. It's not huge, but there's also a piano and some game tables and stuff and that's where a lot of the programs are held. I think that even if you are super outgoing, you probably won't meet as many people if you live in cerro than if you live in the dorms, just mostly because of the living set up.
  • michael2michael2 Registered User Posts: 632 Member
    You mentioned game tables; is there a ping-pong table in the Cerro common area?
    I can't remember if there is a ping pong table in cerro, but I think there is. I know there is one in poly canyon for sure.
    Is there anyone else who goes to Cal Poly and can confirm that there is a ping-pong table at Cerro? Also, do any of the other dorms have a ping-pong table?
  • kdaftarikdaftari Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    There is a ping pong table at cerro vista community center. and i am almost certain that all other dorms have this same center.
    Do you know if it's a good quality ping-pong table? Do a lot of people play ping-pong? Is it competitive?
  • OsakaDadOsakaDad Registered User Posts: 1,200 Senior Member
    My kid is in Santa Lucia and ping pong seems to be played there every day and pretty much everywhere else as well. He said that some guys get real serious about it. He bought new paddles to keep up. I don't know what a good quality table is like, but they all seemed to be good enough for serious play.
  • david12345david12345 Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    Oh, $115 per quarter is still alot of money but better than what my neighbor's son pays from living on campus.

It's probably going to cost me for books and parking per year like $800 a year I take it. At least I don't have to pay for rent and meal plans.

On top of like $4000 for 12 classes a year.

Geesh.
    I wanted to know if there are any groups at Cal Poly that do parkour. I haven't done any parkour, but I would like to learn. Does anyone know anything about parkour at Cal Poly?
  • OsakaDadOsakaDad Registered User Posts: 1,200 Senior Member
    Yes there is an active group on campus -- see my reply to your other post on this subject. There are youtube videos and there is a group facebook page.
  • aeiownuaeiownu Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    In Cerro Vista, how many apartments are on one floor? And is there a reason why they have a separate meal plan from the people who live in the dorms?
  • RoysGoin2CollegeRoysGoin2College Registered User Posts: 558 Member
    Can you name some clubs?
    @aeiownu - the number of apartments per floor in cerro varies since the complex is built on a hill. some floors may only have two apartments, others may have many more. Also, the two back buildings are connected to each other, as are the four front buildings, so it can be kind of hard to tell exactly where one building ends and another begins, unless you look at the room numbers. Therefore, on the front side of the street, some floors may have close to 20 or more apartments on them, I'm guessing. They have a separate meal plan since if you live in cerro, you get a full kitchen so you really don't need to eat on campus as much (which is a good thing, trust me). So you save money on the meal plan, even though you pay slightly more for housing, you end up paying roughly the same amount as someone living in the dorms.

@Roys - rotaract and other volunteer oriented clubs, anime, tons of club sports, and clubs for just about every major. here's a link to a complete listing: Clubs & Organizations - Directory - Student Life & Leadership - Cal Poly
This discussion has been closed.