Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Anyone have questions about anything?

Replies to: Anyone have questions about anything?

• RoysGoin2CollegeRoysGoin2College Registered User Posts: 558 Member
    Thanks man. M
  • 2Leashes2Leashes Registered User Posts: 1,632 Senior Member
    There's ping pong in the student rec. lounge in Yosemite.
  • aeiownuaeiownu Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Do most second-year students live off-campus?
    And for the ones that stay on campus, I'm assuming they stay at Poly Canyon Village, right?
  • NTKS17NTKS17 Registered User Posts: 549 Member
    I guess about half of the second year students live off campus and the rest usually live in poly canyon or occasionally in cerro.
  • N94035N94035 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, my son was accepted early decision into Mechanical Engineering.

We are a 'mac' family - I'm wondering if other ME majors use macs, or is the college/major primarily a pc place?
  • OsakaDadOsakaDad Registered User Posts: 1,200 Senior Member
    My kid is studying ME right now and even though my kid is a PC guy (mostly due to a love of 3D Video gaming), he has fellow students that use mac's. Just make sure that the machine is compatible with Windows software so the kids can file share and submit papers / project electronically. I believe that most folks use PC's but mac's are not uncommon.

Additionally, this is a very common question that will come up again and again during orientation and registration events. Make absolutely sure that you attend the Open House in Spring and SOAR in summer. Ask and they will also give you the specs of the computer that you will need in detail.
  • coxcableecoxcablee Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Besides Cerro Vista, which towers/buildings have the least bathroom to person ratio? I really don't want to share a bathroom with 50 people...
    Definitely the North Mountain dorms. These dorms are either doubles or triples (you don't really get to choose, it just depends on how many people they have to fit on campus). they are set up so that four rooms share a bathroom. So that's about 8-12ish people usually per bathroom, which I'm guessing have more than one toilet and shower and stuff.
  • nik2593nik2593 Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    Which dorms are the best for freshman ? I would like to be more social without going too far. I've applied for engineering and I heard that they mainly stay in the red brick dorms but do not socialize much. I don;t want to party everyday but I'd still like to be part of the social scene.

I'm sorry , I know this sounds weirdly complicated but I'm not that outgoing and I'd like to be.
  • coxcableecoxcablee Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Thanks! And should I have a preference for which hall? (Whitney, Palomar, etc?)
    It doesn't really matter which building, they're pretty much all the same. I think a couple years ago they separated them by college (ie liberal arts, math & science, etc), but I think this year they're all mixed. You can call or ask around to check though cause I'm not positive.
    In my daughter's Yosemite tower she shared the bathroom with 11 other girls. Rarely were there very many girls at once in there. With different class schedules, it doesn't really become a big issue. She never once complained. The guys on her floor have the same set-up with a total of 12 guys sharing their bathroom.
    ALL the dorms are for freshmen. In fact, ONLY freshmen except for RAs live in the dormitories. If you were to choose Cerro Vista, you might be with transfers and possibly even older kids.

nik2593 asked:

Which dorms are the best for freshman ?
  • RoysGoin2CollegeRoysGoin2College Registered User Posts: 558 Member
    Are transfer students guaranteed housing?
    I'm not sure if transfers are guaranteed housing, but I'm pretty sure they are given priority over just regular continuing third or fourth year students. So as long as you apply for housing on time, you should get it.
This discussion has been closed.