Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Senior schedule for cal poly engineering?

brady1995brady1995 Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
Does hs senior schedule look okay if i wanna get into cal poly engineering?
Ap calc bc
Ap stats
Ap chem
Ap english lit
Mechanical engineering
Art
Post edited by brady1995 on

Replies to: Senior schedule for cal poly engineering?

• AppleteamAppleteam Registered User Posts: 174 Junior Member
    Yeah you definitely go above and beyond what they want. Just make sure you have good test scores also. Good luck!
  • vballmomvballmom Registered User Posts: 3,135
    Have you taken AP Physics C already? Maybe take that instead of chem unless you're going into biomedical or materials engineering.
  • brady1995brady1995 Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    My school doesnt offer any type of ap physics ...
  • Question0Question0 Registered User Posts: 163 Junior Member
    That is a pretty strong schedule. I would stick with it (if you can do it, :) ) and then take the AP exam. Note that if you pass the AP calc exam, you get credit for Calculus 1/2 and can jump straight into calculus 3. If you are going into engineering, you WILL NOT get credit for AP stats no matter what score you get on the exam. The AP stats credit will go into something as "electives" which engineers do not need. AP stats only qualifies for Stats 217/218 (If you do other majors, it may transfer over for those classes). However, as an engineer at Cal Poly, you will have to take Stats 312, 321, etc (upper levels) depending on what engineering you want to go into. If you do extremely well on the AP chem test (I think like a five or something), you can get credit for Chem 124 which is a support course for your engineering major. If you can get a four on the AP English Lit test, you get credit for a GE C1- Literature. The AP credits are great for if you want to get ahead. However, if you want to be stronger in the maths or sciences, you can take those classes anyways despite the AP credits.
  • brady1995brady1995 Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    Should i just skip the ap stats exam then?
  • Question0Question0 Registered User Posts: 163 Junior Member
    Well, if I were in your shoes, I probably wouldn't take it UNLESS you think there may be a chance where Cal Poly changes its mind and decide to give you credit for AP stats (which they haven't done for the past five years) Other Academic Credit - Office of the Registrar - Cal Poly On this link, if you click on any AP score link, you will find that most gives you credit for Stats 217, 218, 251, etc. If you go to your engineering major's curriculum, you will find that there are certain engineering stats you have to take that AP stats credits will not give you credit for.

OR
    You should take it if you realize that you don't like engineering and want to change majors (for example, biology majors would accept that AP stats credit). If you end up changing majors, your stats credit may transfer over.
This discussion has been closed.