Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What schools did you turn down for Cal Poly?

124»

Replies to: What schools did you turn down for Cal Poly?

• iulianciulianc Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
    Here is a handy tool. Self reported, but tells you how students who were admitted at two different schools eventually chose their school. Use it as a data point, I highly suggest you narrow your choices to a few, visit and make a determination for what works best for you:

http://www.parchment.com/c/college/tools/college-cross-admit-comparison.php

FWIW, my daughter applied to CalPoly as an afterthought (easy to apply, no essay), was not really convinced she wanted it and was absolutely sold while visiting. Excellent fit for her, no regrets whatsoever, even considering she was admitted to more "prestigious" schools.
  • calpolyslodreamcalpolyslodream Registered User Posts: 135 Junior Member
    Turned down UCLA, UC Beserkely, UCSB, SDSU, Harvey Mudd, Colorado School of Mines, UCSD, and USC
    All for Engineering
  • ThisOneKidThisOneKid Registered User Posts: 264 Junior Member
    You turned down Harvey Mudd engineering? Bruh. That's almost like turning down MIT or CalTech. Bruh.
  • eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 5,014 Senior Member
    @ThisOneKid, it's all about fit. After visiting HMC and USC, my son didn't even apply. He didn't apply to CalTech or MIT either, even though he had the stats to be competitive. My uncle, a Stanford PhD, recommend Poly over Stanford for undergrad engineering. It's about choosing the school the applicant feels is best for them. What's "best" in a choice of a college is purely in the eyes of the beholder.
124»
This discussion has been closed.