Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cal Poly Aeronautical Engineering graduation time

SEDwrdsSEDwrds Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
I have a concern about the amount of time it may take one to graduate from the Cal Poly aeronautical engineering program. Due to course scheduling requirements and limited availability of some courses, I am concerned about the chances of completing all courses within 4 years, or close thereto.
Comments in this regard or information on graduation rates for this program for the 4 and 5 year periods would be appreciated.
Post edited by SEDwrds on

Replies to: Cal Poly Aeronautical Engineering graduation time

• Question0Question0 Registered User Posts: 163 Junior Member
    https://aero.calpoly.edu/media/uploads/files/2011-2013.pdf
    https://aero.calpoly.edu/media/uploads/files/2011_2013_Flowchart1.pdf
    Here are the curriculum and flowcharts. AP credits and community college classes help a lot. Before coming to Cal Poly, I was also nervous about whether or not I could graduate on time because I applied for an engineering major too. However, by making a flowchart, I was able to organize what classes I plan to take each quarter, so I won't end up wasting any quarters during my time at Cal Poly.

You can also take classes over the summer too or take more classes during the fall, winter, and spring quarter. I would suggest not taking more than 16 units each quarter though. In terms of completing all the courses within 4 years, I would suggest making your own flow chart/four year plan and take a look at which classes will be offered during which quarter. If you don't get into the class you want, you can just crash it or make a backup for a different one.
  • zinrokhzinrokh Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    4 year graduation rate was 10% according to the Aerospace department chair when I went to Open House. I'm also majoring in Aerospace Engineering. For most Engineering majors, missing a class or failing a class will put you back 1 year since most classes are arranged in a Fall->Spring sequence.

You will be able to get into all AE courses. I believe most people who have trouble scheduling courses is due to the GE classes which everyone fights for. You can generally take GE at any quarter; you can even take it over summer at a local CC and transfer it over.
This discussion has been closed.