Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Future of Cal Poly

2»

Replies to: Future of Cal Poly

• ickglueickglue Registered User Posts: 283 Junior Member
    @blueskies

You said, "Ya the sticking around thing at Cal Poly can be perceived as a love for the school or just kids wanting to hang out and avoid responsibility longer, which is not a selling point. "

Overstaying during my undergraduate days is a personal choice of mine and not the university's fault. It was not meant to be a selling point. Not sure why you thought that. You are right on about avoiding responsibilities, that was pretty much my entire goal at that point in my life at age 21. I enjoyed sitting out at Pismo beach or Dexter lawn sunning myself and looking at girls a bit too much, doing all that while hanging out with my Poly pals. But it's okay, I grew out of that. I am productive member of society with a paying job now.

@blueskies and also Busymei

As your assertion that Cal Poly students were just window shopping UCs but never applied/accepted. The admission data for CP would pretty much rule that out due to the high degree of symmetry between mid-tier UCs' admission requirements and Poly's. I read somewhere that UC Davis' highest cross-admit school is SLO, and vice versa.

As for oversell, my take is that this thread is sort of like a Cal Poly showroom hosted by happy customers of Poly. So if they don't share their happy experience with other prospective clients here, I don't know where else. I know it is the exactly same for my graduate school's thread. Students, parents, rave about my graduate alma mater ad infinitum.

So if you want some undiluted raw reviews of Poly, you can go to UCLA, UCSD threads (more so UCLA, SD/SB/Davis people are mellow, and UCB mostly doesn't care either way). I have read plenty of unbiased feedbacks there.
  • jamestgjamestg Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    @blueskies- I too see very little bashing of other schools, with your posts as the exception. I'll back up osakadad's "real" experience.

My son, a freshman Computer Science major at SLO, exceeded every category of the freshman admin stats for all UCs, including UCB. He visited every campus in which he was interested, before he even applied. He didn't apply to UCB because he didn't like the campus vibe or size. So, these were his results.

Early Decision declined for Stanford. Declined at CalTec. Waitlisted UCLA and University of Chicago, and I certainly would not put UCLA at the same level as Chicago. Accepted by UCI- Honors, UCSD, LMU - Honors, Chapman University- Honors/Chancellor's scholarship. Every other private school, to which he applied, offered him acceptance with significant scholarship dollars.

He re-visted his top 5 during their respective accepted students day. CP was the last campus we re-visited. At the end of the day, walking back to the car, he said to me and my wife, "Looks like I'm a Mustang."

So, yes, there are some UC-worthy kids who knowingly turn down "better" schools to attend at SLO.
  • BusyMeiBusyMei Registered User Posts: 687 Member
    @slolearner
    Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. College is a very personal choice. Most students I know are happy with their college choice. I am definitely not disagreeing that Cal Poly is a good college as I stated in my earlier post.

The only reason that I posted was in direct response to a quote which I included at the top of the post.

Cal Poly's freshman profile surpasses 3 of the 9 UCs which truly is not most UCs.
    Cal Poly's 3.98 gpa is not similar to UCB's 4.16 gpa.

I am only sticking to the facts, not opinion. Please there is no need to be defensive or insecure.
  • engineerismeengineerisme Registered User Posts: 238 Junior Member
    Well I am a happy freshman at Cal Poly SLO in computer engineering. I was accepted at UCSD, UCSB, UCI and Cal Poly Pomona. SLO was the last one I toured and within 30 minutes of stepping into the campus I was sure this was the place for me. So don't say that those of us that accepted SLO did it because our stats were not good enough and we just dreamed about the other schools. That is not true. If you hate SLO go hang out on a different board, we will not miss you.
    Cal Poly 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007
    GPA Average 3.87 3.84 3.84 3.81 3.78 3.71
    ACT Average 27.1 27.0 26.8 26.3 26.1 25.5
    SAT Composite* 1231 1226 1215 1202 1200 1183

UCSB 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
    GPA Average 3.91 3.91 3.92 3.85 3.84
    SAT Composite* 1852 1846 1832 1801 1781

*out of 2400
  • slolearnerslolearner Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    @BusyMei Sticking to the facts is a challenge when there are no facts to stick to. The focus of most of the recent CC Cal Poly threads has been choices for incoming engineering students. Very little data for that group is available. Total speculation on my part, I believe the top quartile of Cal Poly engineering admits had the option to attend any of the UC's with the exception of UCB, though it's likely that 5+ % of admits had that as an option as well. I do have solid data for my two kids, UCLA, UCD & UCI each sent them offers of admission. Cal Poly was the 1st choice for both. Most of their high school classmates made other choices. All their classmates all seem to be pleased with the choices they made. For some Cal Poly is the best choice. This is the place to read those stories.
    @busymei

I don't think anyone here claim Cal Poly is an exact academic peer of UCB. In fact, if Cal Poly was a peer of UCB, then it is truly impressive given UCB is considered the #1 public university in the US.

And Cal Poly's admission average stats are a hair below that of UCSB, UCD, UCI (I think, I didn't check all of them), and above UCSC, UCM, UCR.

So to be precise, "surpassing" might not be the most accurate choice of word, but "very similar" is more appropriate.

Also, as SLO accept by individual colleges, not as a university (unlike the UCs), the stats Osakadad might be referring to when he said surpass is more indicative of the engineering school's stats.
    Please do not put words in my mouth and read my posts carefully!!!

The only reason I am here is I regularly follow the forums of 5/6 of my favorite colleges which Cal Poly is one of the them. The only reason I posted is responding to a false statement someone made.

I do not hate Cal Poly. I might still recruit there in the future.

I believe that many students who got into Cal Poly also got accepted into some/many UCs. My own son got into Cal Poly, UCB, UCSD, UCD, UCI, UCSB. As I said it is a personal choice and most students are happy with their choice.

I will shut up and leave now as I really feel I am being attack for simply pointing out a non factual statement. There is no place here for anything else other than I love Cal Poly. Perhaps the title of this thread should be changed from "Future of Cal Poly" to "Only share your love for Cal Poly, do not post anything else other than love.
    I love you BusyMei
    @ BusyMei ^^^ Not intended to be flip, I enjoy reading your posts, your contributions to the messages are always thoughtful and add insight & depth to the conversation. Thank you. Please continue to inform us.
    No worries :) I am probably just having an off day. I was just leaving this thread not the froum.
2»
This discussion has been closed.