Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Changes to block schedule?

2»

Replies to: Changes to block schedule?

• giddyupgiddyup Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    My daughter had the same issue and contacted her advisor because as it stands she is enrolled in 4 classes with only 13 credits (one class is just a 1 credit class that only meets 1x week) and would like to add a 5th class, bringing her total credits to 17. However, her advisor recommended that the first term 12-14 units is ideal. I understand that, but she would prefer a challenging workload as opposed to starting out with a less demanding schedule. She is thinking of trying to add the 5th class once open enrollment starts and then dropping a class if she determines that the course load would be too much. Suggestions?
  • NTKS17NTKS17 Registered User Posts: 549 Member
    I highly doubt that the one unit class will have much, if any outside work. Advisors recommend 12-14 units, but it really depends on what classes you are taking. I was only blocked into 12 units my first quarter, and I found the work load to be incredibly light. However, the classes I was taking were not very rigorous. If you're taking more demanding classes, such as lab classes, then 12-14 is probably a good amount.
  • Jared53Jared53 Registered User Posts: 216 Junior Member
    Two words: open enrollment.
2»
This discussion has been closed.