Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cal Poly SLO least impacted major?

2»

Replies to: Cal Poly SLO least impacted major?

• SunflowergirlrydSunflowergirlryd Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    @Gumbymom yeah I know it's difficult to change majors, and I applied under environmental management and protection which is my preferred major. I do know that it isn't impossible thought my cousin was able to change majors, although it was from civil engineering to history lol. I don't think I'll be able to get in tp cal poly anyway because I have a 3.39 unweighted gpa, 3.59 weighted and my SAT out of 1600 is 1100, so this is definitely my reach school.
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC Posts: 25,074 Forum Champion
    @Sunflowergirlyrd: It is always easier to go from a competitive major and college such as Engineering to a non-competitive major such as History than the other way around.
  • blueskies2dayblueskies2day Registered User Posts: 930 Member
    edited October 2014
    Eyemgh, you stated earlier..."The math bonus is applicable to all majors and unfortunately statistics isn't counted, only the pure math classes, Algebra 1 and 2, Geometry, pre-Calc, and Calc. As it stands, you will meet the minimum requirement of 6 semesters, and get a 125 point bonus for Triginometry (part of pre-calc). The max math bonus is 500, so you aren't as helped as you could have been, but not hurt per se."

Stats and AP Stats are accepted a-g courses for our high school, and AP is an accepted AP/honors course (gets additional point for GPA). I called Cal Poly admissions and they confirmed AP stats is included as an advanced math and qualifies for the MCA math bonus.

High schools a-g vary, have to check the pathways site for your high school to make sure which classes count.
  • eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 5,015 Senior Member
    Good to know. The director of admissions led us to believe otherwise and the MCA algorithm doesn't specify.
  • CADREAMINCADREAMIN Registered User Posts: 4,699 Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    AP Stats counts for our HS too, maybe it was an update made in last year or two. Things can change every year with the a-g course list for each school. Our HS just started offering AP Computer Science which isn't recognized as an approved a-g course (it will be an elective but can put it in section about classes related to major), but is in the approval process with the UC/CSU system to be added to the a-g list, not sure if it will be science or math, don't care, won't be there! Can take 1-3 years, sometime longer for approval. Taught by a CP grad that went on to get Masters at UCB or somewhere else great. Thrilled that my S could take the class this year to see if they actually like CS before applying to colleges. Not a problem if you go to a school where changing majors is easy, but at the UCs and CSUs, while things aren't written in stone, it can obviously be better coming in knowing what you want to do.
2»
This discussion has been closed.