Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Change of Address question

bkallday1bkallday1 Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
So I got my housing assignment today and "changed my address with USPS" to the mailing address that the school gave me. The expected format for my new mailing address is:
Building, Room #
1 Grand Avenue
SLO, CA
However, when I went into my local post office they told me that the address cannot start with my Building because it's not a street number but a name. So what I put instead was:
1 Grand Avenue
Building, Room #
San Luis Obispo, CA
Since I couldn't submit a change of address using the "expected format" the university gave me, when the USPS starts forwarding my mail in mid-September will it still get delivered to my mailbox inside my residence hall or be returned to the sender?

Replies to: Change of Address question

• MLMMLM Registered User Posts: 744 Member
    edited August 2014
    My son's mail was addressed as you indicated in the first example (and he received his mail):

John Doe
    Dorm Name, Room Number
    1 Grand Avenue
    San Luis Obispo, CA 93410-1300

Since you somewhat reversed the address, I don't think it will be a big deal. You will still get your mail. The way SLO prefers it is easier for them when sorting the mail.

edited to add - don't forget your dorm zip code extension (the last 4 digits on the zip code).
This discussion has been closed.