Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Confused about MCA score

Replies to: Confused about MCA score

• my2caligirlsmy2caligirls Registered User Posts: 936 Member
    The Freshman app still asks for hours worked last 12 months and if major related, and EC's last 12 months and if leadership role - assume still contribute to the MCA.
  • eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 5,014 Senior Member
    @slotrees I'm not certain that ECs were ever a big part (if any) of the transfer MCA. It's much different, based mostly on GPA and how many of the desired courses were completed.
  • BioShucksBioShucks Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    My student took 1 ACT (Composite 34: Math 31, English 31, Science 36, Reading 36) and 2 SATs (Superscored 1420: Math 730, Read/Write 690). I understand CP will superscore across tests, but does this happen automatically? Do we report all scores on the Common CSU app or must we report only the scores we want them to consider?
    I THINK you send everything and they do it automatically, but I'd call to make sure. My guess is that they'll take the SAT math and the ACT English.
  • Kitty33Kitty33 Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    @eyemgh is correct -- I emailed admissions a couple of weeks ago and they said to send everything. My S has a similar situation, higher Math score on the SAT, but higher English score on the ACT.
  • SC AnteaterSC Anteater Registered User Posts: 371 Member
    @my2caligirls -- where on the application does it have you put number of hours? I'm looking and I can't find it.
  • my2caligirlsmy2caligirls Registered User Posts: 936 Member
    When you add the school to the app under "Program Materials", there is a "Questions" tab that the the hours get entered on. It is not part of the main app and is unique to SLO.
  • catchastarcatchastar Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    CPSLO app submitted. Here's to hoping an MCA of 4882 is sufficient for Mech E for Class of 2022!
  • SC AnteaterSC Anteater Registered User Posts: 371 Member
    @my2caligirls Thanks -- we finally found out. DS and I were tearing our hair out!
  • acceptpleaseacceptplease Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    What are my chances for Cal Poly SLO Economics Major:

MCA score: 4140

AP Biology
    AP English Language and Composition

Senior year I am taking AP world history

GPA: 3.67

SAT: 1390 superscored

6-10 hours of extracurriculars w leadership

16-20 hours of work related to major
    *Out of State (NYC)
  • ASBA123ASBA123 Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    What are my chances for Cal Poly SLO Computer Science Major:

Calculated MCA score based on post #52 on this thread (thanks to @eyemgh) : Total MCA 4851

Calpoly GPA 4.29 = MCA 2250
    SAT Super score 1450 = MCA 1701
    Course Work = MCA 750
    Extra Curicular (11-15 hours) = MCA 150
    School area - San Jose, CA

Thanks in advance to everyone for giving me insight.

@ASBA123, if you want a reasonable amount of feedback. Start a new thread. Very few follow the pinned threads at the top. BTW, given the stats you posted, I think your MCA is calculated too high. Your SAT multiplier is off, I think.
  • ASBA123ASBA123 Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    Thanks @eyemgh for your inputs and observation..yes you are right, SAT MCA score is 1495 vs. 1701 and Total MCA is 4645. Will start new thread.
  • KES2022KES2022 Registered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
    It's probably been answered, but are the MCA points for class rigor suppose to include senior course work.
  • MelloGMelloG Registered User Posts: 197 Junior Member
    @KES2022 Yes, 9-12 (except math and language which can be 7-12).