Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Replies to: Denied!!!

• CAtransplantCAtransplant Registered User Posts: 511 Member
    Forgive me but I don't understand a few things you said. She's a U.S. citizen but lives overseas and thus has no GPA - so the school she's attended doesn't give grades in a way that can be converted to a GPA? What does it mean top 10% of state - which state, California? And what is in the top 10% of state - her grades? Thanks. By the way, my daughter's portal hasn't changed either, still says same as @lkg4answers posted in reply # 14.
  • vanderdonkvanderdonk Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Yes - US citizen being schooled in Australia. In Australia school does not do a GPA although they have school reports throughout highschool etc - all ranked A B C D etc but it does not equate to US GPA. My understanding is an international admissions officer is assigned to a region and they are familiar with the students local testing/schooling etc. And top 10% of state means that the assessment she sat for end of year exams are ranked and she was in the top 10% of her state (within Australia - Victoria). A very good achievement. Hope that clears it up and good luck to your daughter
  • vanderdonkvanderdonk Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Edit: to put in perspective - top 10% in state out of 70,000 students.
  • eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 5,558 Senior Member
    This seems odd to me. Not knowing anything else, an ACT of 31 already makes it an uphill battle, as the average for accepted students within the CENG was 33 last year. Still, the timing doesn't seem right. I agree with the above poster. I'd call admissions just to see if they can enlighten you about anything that might snag her at all CA schools, for instance, missing a-g requirements. Good luck!

P.S. Be aware that Univ. of Washington admits VERY few students directly into their major. Most start in pre-engineering and have to compete for their respective majors based on their college performance. Without a direct admit, there's a high risk of disappointment.
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 3,323 Senior Member
    What is her ATAR? Has she got a place at an Oz uni?
  • UWfromCAUWfromCA Registered User Posts: 1,343 Senior Member
    edited January 2017
    Enrolled ACT range within the CENG was 28-33. Applicant with a 31 should be able to hold her own; it may very well be an a-g requirement issue.

P.S. Applicant will not receive direct admission at UW, but with an ACT that places her around the top third of the engineering/pre-engineering class, she should be fine for regular admission to her major.
    @UWfromCA, I'm not sure where you got your info, but it's incorrect. According to Cal Poly's Prospective Student Profile, the CENG median ACT was 33. My guess is that you're looking at a 25th to 75th percentile range from an old common data set, as it's been a LONG time (ever?) since the top ACT in the Cal Poly CENG was 33.

https://admissions.calpoly.edu/prospective/profile.html
    edited January 2017
    Got timed out adding the rest of my reply:

The ACT data goes back to 2005 (25-30). The 75th percentile ACT climbed to 33 for the first time in 2016. The range was 27-31 as recently as 2013, which shows how highly competitive Cal Poly has become over the last several years (as all of us in California know). I would not be surprised to see the middle 50 range move to 29-33 (or even 29-34) in next year's ASEE profile.
  • CPTmallowCPTmallow Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Surprised to hear that admission decisions started to roll out already. I thought they would start releasing mid-Feb...
    edited January 2017
    @UWfromCA, the difference is likely based on the fact that Cal Poly only uses the English and Math portions of the ACT in order to have an apples to apples comp to CR/M of the SAT in the admissions algorithm. I'm guessing the 33 they are reporting on the link above, is the median score of the average of just those two sections. I'm also inclined to trust Poly's own institutional research data over that of a third party, even the ASEE.
    edited January 2017
    Again, the difference is between the stats of admitted ("selected") students and enrolled students. Colleges report their own data to ASEE.

Another example:

UCLA admitted: 29-34; enrolled: 26-33.

http://www.admission.ucla.edu/prospect/adm_fr/Frosh_Prof16.htm
  • CAtransplantCAtransplant Registered User Posts: 511 Member
    Thanks for clarifying @vanderdonk - and thanks for the good luck wishes. I also wish good luck to yours.
  • Banker1Banker1 Registered User Posts: 788 Member
    @eyemgh when you say the ACT average was 33 for CENG are you referring to the average of only the English and Math subscores or the actual ACT composite? Thanks.
  • Lynn121936Lynn121936 Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    Funny. We also applied to Univ of Wash and are going to rule it out unless she is directly admitted to her desired major. I read a lot of stories from kids who wasted a lot of money on classes for their desired major and even after getting top grades in those classes, they were not ultimately admitted to their desired major. That would be infuriating.
This discussion has been closed.