Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
13»

Replies to: Denied!!!

• prospect1prospect1 Registered User Posts: 1,432 Senior Member
    30/31 ACT is not going to be good enough in most cases for UWash or Cal Poly engineering. There is way too much talent instate applying for those spots since (1) they are exceptional engineering schools and (2) they are an absolute, unmatchable bargain for residents.

Consequently, they attract tippy top instate talent and the standards for admission have become incredibly high in the past couple years.
  • UWfromCAUWfromCA Registered User Posts: 1,267 Senior Member
    edited January 2017
    #30: Fosters? Not an issue for students who actually have "top grades" (or even "above average" grades).
  • Banker1Banker1 Registered User Posts: 739 Member
    @Lynn121936 UWash has 30% admission to major for CS. Way too much pressure to get in after 2 years for those who aren't direct admits.

@eyemgh I just noticed from above you think the 33 is just the math and English portions of ACT. That seems more realistic. My D's 32 using that method seems doable. If only she hadn't selected BMED at Cal Poly (since they don't have ChemE).
  • eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 5,014 Senior Member
    For UW, what that means is that 2 out of 3 students who were strong enough to get admitted to UW and want to study CS will have to pick something else. Why anyone would take the risk is beyond me when there are SO many good options out there.
    Last year UW enrolled 68 freshmen direct admits (previous high was 40, if I recall). For students seeking regular admission, the Department states, "We typically have space for approximately 40% of students who apply," which is why they are in the process of doubling the Department's capacity with a second CSE building. In the meantime, the Department counsels, "Our best advice is that if you are admitted directly into another computer science program and would be extremely stressed by not being coded into your major directly as a freshman, it may be best to accept the other offer."
  • ProfessorDProfessorD Registered User Posts: 288 Junior Member
    Which is one reason UW makes for a great graduate school, but a much more questionable choice for undergraduate work.
    ^ That would depend on (i) the student and (ii) what the student plans to study.
  • MagnetronMagnetron Registered User Posts: 2,634 Senior Member
    FYI, UW is starting on a new building to double the number of the CS and CE spots available.

http://www.washington.edu/news/2017/01/10/zillow-group-pledges-5-million-for-new-uw-computer-science-engineering-building/
13»
This discussion has been closed.