right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Cal Poly Class of 2022 Thread

Replies to: Cal Poly Class of 2022 Thread

• momametmomamet 47 replies0 threads Junior Member
    How in the world do they choose from 65,000 applications without using a holistic approach? Especially if they are being lenient with students that didn't include their 7th/8th grade math classes. Seems like an impossible selection process.
    · Reply · Share
  • CopperlineX2CopperlineX2 509 replies2 threads Member
    I prefer the Cal State’s “numbers game” over the holistic UC process any day!
    · Reply · Share
  • novoslo2000novoslo2000 6 replies1 threads New Member
    The site now says maintenance scheduled for Sunday maintenance rather than the usual Wednesday maintenance. Maybe a wave of acceptances for Monday?
    · Reply · Share
    It would be nice but I'm still expecting 2/15 for OOS and 2/16 in-state
    · Reply · Share
  • eyemgheyemgh 5618 replies122 threads Senior Member
    @momamet, read the pinned thread at the top about the MCA. It will clarify how they rank students. Once you understand it, you'll realize "holistic" admission is far more a black box.
    · Reply · Share
    I think I understand the MCA pretty well, but it just seems like many many applicants would score really high, and at that point, how do they pick? High SAT’s, High GPA, 3-4 years of FL, lots of Math and science, work in the major of study, and ec’s - so many students have all of that....what am I missing? I guess I don’t fully understand it.
    · Reply · Share
  • VickiSoCalVickiSoCal 3408 replies33 threads Senior Member
    Each major picks from top down from the applicants to their major. I don't see.what is hard to understand?
    · Reply · Share
    One more question - and please excuse my ignorance if this was addressed somewhere else in the pages and pages and pages of dialogue about MCA. Is there an MCA total max and if so, what is that number?
    · Reply · Share
  • bioincsbioincs 24 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Hey everyone! I know this might be a bit early as acceptances are just starting to roll out. But I'm currently a second year Computer Science major at Cal Poly and if anyone has any questions about the school/my experience/anything at all feel free to send me a message or ask me a question in the thread. Super excited for all of you and best of luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • ksquaredmomksquaredmom 67 replies3 threads Junior Member
    Thank you, @bioincs!

1. We have heard that Cal Poly SLO is over enrolled. Are you feeling the effect of this with larger classes, difficulty scheduling needed/wanted classes, housing shortages, long lines in cafeteria/food places?

2. What is the stress level like? Does CS/Engineering feel competive or supportive among your peers? Do you see much depression or despair over school work? How accessible and supportive are the professors?

I am sure I will think of more. :)

Thank you!
    · Reply · Share
    @ksquaredmom you may also want to take a look at Cal Poly’s reddit page for listings of current students’ frustrations. There are many, but that is probably true of most overcrowded publics.
    · Reply · Share
    @ksquaredmom My biggest concern is the CSU system is forcing semester conversion on all campuses. Cal Poly admin has conceded this will happen there as well. I don’t want my kid there in the middle of that circus.
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 2018
    @CopperlineX2 I had not heard of this. Is it quarters now and they are going to semesters? I thought they were on semesters for some reason...

I have looked on Reddit but perhaps not deep enough??
    edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 2018
    On another note, there have been rumors of Cal Poly switching to the semester system. I don't know however if this has been confirmed or not. I know quite a few students are against the switch, and no official message has been released on when a switch will occur if one does at all. This has led me and many of my peers to believe that even if a switch occurs, it will likely not be for several years (and will likely also receive backlash from students).
    edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • bogeyorparbogeyorpar 751 replies31 threads Member
    @bionics, thanks for helping out.

How many OOS students do you see in the CS department? Are they quite isolated or do they socialize well with Californians? I have heard of one friend's kid who went to UCSD from OOS. He got no friends there and felt lonely and transferred back to a college in our state after a year.
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you, @bioincs! Long and detailed is always appreciated!

I have also heard rumblings of isolation from less than outgoing Cal Poly OOS students. What does Cal Poly do to promote community?
    · Reply · Share
    @bogeyorpar @ksquaredmom Really? That's actually the first I've heard of anything along those lines. I've met a few out of state students and they definitely didn't seem isolated. Usually I don't even know someone is OOS unless they talk about their home, but as far as I've seen they've fit in well. Two of my apartment-mates are actually OOS and they both love it here. However, I also haven't heard of that issue at other universities so I may be uneducated on the subject.
    · Reply · Share
  • ningveningve 22 replies2 threads Junior Member
    @bionics can I ask some admission questions? The biggest rumor/concern here is that if one forgot to put his algebra etc. math classes he took in middle school in his application, he would lose 250 - 500 math rigor MCA points which will greatly impact his acceptance chance. From your experience, do you think it is true? Thank you.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity