Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

MCA and chances for 2019 Freshmen

2»

Replies to: MCA and chances for 2019 Freshmen

• GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC Posts: 23,844 Forum Champion
    He looks like a very qualified applicant but much will depend upon how his MCA score compares to the other Computer Engineering applicants. He definitely has a chance but difficult to determine where he stands. Usually a 4700+ MCA score has been competitive for Engineering and he is close.
  • eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 4,762 Senior Member
    Using 9th grade significantly dilutes the power of weighting.

Based on last year's Final Status thread, which is by no means definitive, low 4600 would appear to be the bubble for Computer Engineering. Remember though, not everyone posts on College Confidential. There could have been MCAs lower than that. Also, it gets more competitive every year. Having a safety is certainly a good idea.
  • Nervous2022Nervous2022 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Thank you @Gumbymom and @eyemgh. Really appreciate your guidance. We are also eyeing UCSD, UCI. Berkley and UCLA are stretch of course. :-)
    Make sure he has some solid safety schools on the list and he would happy to attend. Best of luck.
    I'd consider CP a stretch too. The median GPA in the CENG is 4.21, and there are a couple of non-selective majors pulling that down. His full points for his ECs will definitely be needed to even be in the hunt. Good luck.
  • wontgiveupwontgiveup Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    @gumbymom @eyemgh

My son will be applying for Fall 2019. He is still deciding on his major. His top four choices are (not in this order):
    1. Agricultural Business
    2. BioResources and Agriculture Engineering
    3. Environmental Management and Protection
    4. Industrial Technology and Packaging

He is leaning toward a Business based major but I think Business Admin will be to difficult to get in.

Any feedback on the above majors? MCAs for each? In which major would he have the best chance of being admitted? Cal Poly is his number one choice, but he is flexible with regard to his major.

His stats:
    CP GPA: 9.93
    SAT: 1280 (hopefully higher with his next set of scores)
    MCA 4485

Thanks for your help!
    @wontgiveup, those are fairly different majors. I'd have him concentrate more on what he wants to do and then narrow. It's not worth doing something he doesn't like just to go to Cal Poly.

It will also be hard to find a lot of MCA feedback on those majors, but you can search the Final Status threads from the last couple of years.

All that said, my son's friend from HS just graduated in IT. It seems like it was a good major and he's got a good job now. It's in the B School, but FAR less competitive to get in than Business Administration. I would think 4485 would be competitive for IT, but I'm not much into "chancing."

Good luck.
    @eyemgh Thank you for your help! They are different majors for sure and I wish he could narrow it better. I hear good things about IT but I'm not sure he can get in with his stats. May be worth a shot though. I really appreciate your feedback and I'll check out the Final Status threads.
    @wontgiveup, this doesn’t tell the whole picture, but IT accepts around 60% of its applicants. I’d be surprised if 4485 didn’t get him in. As always though, a safety is important.
    @eyemgh That acceptance rate helps a bunch with making his decision on major. Where can I find acceptance rate by major. I see it by College but not by specific major.
    FTF Target/FTF Applicant x 3 to account roughly for yield.

https://ir.calpoly.edu/content/publications_reports/targets/index
    Thank you!
  • marinebioslomarinebioslo Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I am having a hard time finding chances of admissions for the Marine Science program at Cal Poly - SLO. It is a new program and it looks like they have only admitted a small number of students. I figured my daughter's MCA to be 4734. She has a 4.33 Cal State GPA and 34 English/26 Math ACT (730/English/650 Math SAT) and lots extra curriculars and work experience. Mostly worried about the math scores for a science major. She is good at math but doesn't seem to be testing well in it.
    @marinebioslo: I would say your daughter is a competitive applicant for the Marine science program. Since it is a new program, you will probably will not find little to no MCA data. Projected acceptance rate was 14% so not easy admit overall.

Here is the a recommended 4 year flowchart for Marine Science. It does not look to difficult Math wise with 2 Calculus and 2 Stat classes.

http://flowcharts.calpoly.edu/downloads/mymap/15-17.76MSCIBSU.pdf
2»