Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

MCA and chances for 2019 Freshmen

Replies to: MCA and chances for 2019 Freshmen

• wontgiveupwontgiveup Registered User Posts: 19 Junior Member
    @gumbymom @eyemgh I couldn't find a separate thread for this...How should my son enter his AP Econ w/US Gov class? Our school weights both semesters and spends only a few weeks on US Gov. Should it be listed as a full year of AP Marcro and ignore the US Gov? This would give him 2 years of History for a-g, and 2 years of College Prep. Or should he split them by semester? This would give him 2.5 years History and 1.5 years College Prep, but I think only one semester would show as AP for the Econ portion and the other would show as non-honors for the US Gov portion. Do UCs or CSUs ever give a full year of weighted credit to AP Macro? Does it look better to have exceeded the minimum a-g requirements in two categories vs. one? Thanks for your help!
  • eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 5,433 Senior Member
    @wontgiveup, I think @Gumbymom is your best resource here. My gut though is that you'd need to mimic how his school will list the course on his transcript. You can always call the admissions office too. It's (805) 756-2311. Good luck.
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC Posts: 26,310 Forum Champion
    @wontgiveup: I would also suggest you contact SLO admissions with your question as noted by @eyemgh.

It does not matter how the HS weights the class, what is important is how it will be listed on the HS transcript so the self-reported courses on the application match.
    Some HS's do offer a full year of AP MacroEcon and some offer it as a semester course. Can he sit for the AP US Government test after taking this course or only the AP MacroEcon test?

Most applicants to the competitive CSU's and UC's will exceed the minimum a-g requirements by a huge amount. 15 a-g courses are required which is 30 semesters. For many of the competitive schools, you are seeing applicants with 45+ semesters of a-g courses throughout their HS career.
    Thanks @eyemgh!
    @gumbymom He can only sit for the AP Marcro test. The Gov portion is only taught for the last 4-5 weeks of school after they take the AP Macro test. He's exceeded the a-g mostly in math. Lightest in both history and college prep. He ends up with 46 overall.
    @eyemgh @gumbymom Do you still think extra semesters in Social Science and College Prep electives don't calculate into the MCA or do you think that may have changed. It could make a difference in how my son enters his AP Econ/Gov class (which I asked you both about on a separate thread). Thanks so much for your help - I am infinitely grateful!
    @eyemgh @gumbymom My son has a current MCA of 4723, Cal Poly GPA 3.93, applying to ITP Major.
    @wontgiveup: Your son is definitely competitive for ITP. Best of luck to him.
    Thanks @Gumbymom! Fingers crossed!

Any thoughts on the Social Science and Elective calculation for MCA ^
    @wontgiveup, Poster @eyemgh is the MCA calculation expert. I never heard of the MCA points until I starting researching SLO and saw the posts about the MCA points.

There is no definitive information indicating that they still use this calculation along with no definite information they do not. Since SLO is a “polytechnic” school, it makes sense to me that they put more emphasis on the Laboratory/Hard sciences vs. the Social sciences. It is what it is but if he is not accepted, it will not be due to the way his AP Econ/Gov class was listed on the application.
    @gumbymom Thanks for the reassurance. This AP Econ/Gov class is driving us nuts. I needed to hear that it won't be a factor. Thanks!
  • RedslpRedslp Registered User Posts: 156 Junior Member
    I just started reading this thread today. So looking @ Nervous2022 original post, it appears that the hours for EC and Work were total yearly hours not weekly hours, but the points calculated were for weekly participation. Does anyone else read it that way?
    @wontgiveup, as @Gumbymom said, we only know for certain that the MCA was in effect through 2013. They pulled reference to that calculation after that year. Nothing leads us to believe they do it any other way since then, and the Final Status threads seem to support that they do, but they no longer publicly discuss it. I'm not sure why. SJSU has a very similar system that they are very transparent about.

What would you like to know about this: "Any thoughts on the Social Science and Elective calculation for MCA."?
    Thanks at @eyemgh

Just wondering if they give any points to extra Social Science and College Prep Electives above the minimum a-g requirements. Your original post including information about how to calculate MCA indicated they do not give extra points for these areas. Sounds like they probably still do not (or at least we don't know for sure anymore).

My son's AP Econ/Gov class can be listed either as one full year of AP Macro or as a semester each of AP Macro/Gov. Either seems acceptable to Cal Poly.

So the deciding factor is what looks best on the app for my son. Entered as one full year, he ends up with 2 years of SS and 2 years of CE. Entered as semesters, he has 2.5 SS and 1.5 CE, putting him above the minimum in both areas vs only one.

What are your thoughts on entering it. @Gumbymom has reassured me it probably has no bearing on admission but we'd still like to enter it the best way possible.

Thanks!
    @eyemgh
    ^I meant to direct the above questions to you but the way I typed it out wasn’t obvious the question was for you :)
    @wontgiveup, I think as long as he hits the minimum requirements, how he lists that class won't matter either way. The MCA, as of the last publication we have, only counts classes in math, lab sciences, English, foreign languages, and visual performance towards the rigor points. Beyond that, it's simply a matter of meeting the minimum requirements. As long as he hits 4 semesters of social sciences (that must include 2 of US History or US History and Government), and has at least 2 semesters of college prep electives, he's fine. Hope that helps.