Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance me for General Engineering?

bigmansthrowawaybigmansthrowaway Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
Major: General Engineering

MCA: 4500

GPA: 3.7 (yay freshman year!)

SAT: 1500

ECs: Robotics, Track, Scouting

I'd assume that given my GPA, I wouldn't stand that much of a chance. But I'm not too sure.

Replies to: Chance me for General Engineering?

• eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 5,015 Senior Member
    It’s all about the MCA. Your SAT is helping offset your GPA. I’d say you are probably on the bubble. Fingers crossed. Good luck!
  • bigmansthrowawaybigmansthrowaway Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    @eyemgh I'm only a high school junior thankfully. Do you think I could attempt to take the ACT, get a 35-36, and then convert the score to receive a higher MCA?
    SAT and ACT are very different. You can look up SAT/ACT diagnostic to see whether you’d be better taking it or not. 1500, depending on your score, probably equates to a 35 to 36 anyway. I don’t know the concordance tables for the new SAT, but 1500 is high. Get great grades the rest of the year if you want the max impact.
  • bigmansthrowawaybigmansthrowaway Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    @eyemgh Sorry to bother you so much, but according to the Official SAT/ACT concordance tables, as well as the one given by the MCA calculator, a 35-36 should bump me up around 50-100 MCA points, since a 34 is a 1500. Would that only help me by a small or significant amount?
    Any bump helps, but don’t assume taking the ACT will result in a high score. They are very different tests. After you do a diagnostic test, you might learn that your efforts are best spent retaking the SAT.