Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Where does SLO engineering rank vs. national universities offering doctorate degrees

CaliDad2021CaliDad2021 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
I know rankings are somewhat subjective, but I've never seen an undergraduate ranking of engineering programs of all universities, both those that offer doctorates and those like SLO that do not. Any idea where Cal Poly would "rank" if it was put up against the likes of GT, Purdue,
UCLA, or even schools like Washington, Penn State, Wisconsin, Colorado, etc. Would love to hear from those who might have some firm insights.

Replies to: Where does SLO engineering rank vs. national universities offering doctorate degrees

• sawadeekasawadeeka Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    edited January 19
    I agree, in the end, it's about hiring the curious/driven. I may be a bit biased since I'm a Poly grad ('94 BS CS), but if you were to visit the school, there's something about the environment there that fosters so much creativity. After visiting all the other engineering departments at several UC campuses last summer, none of them compare. Poly really meets up to their reputation of "learning by doing." If you were to walk into one of the engineering buildings, you'll see so many cool projects that kids there do. In addition, I didn't really see as much "passion" with engineering kids at any of the UC campuses. I think the only other schools that I saw as much passion was at Carnegie and MIT (both also offers small class sizes).

I wholeheartedly agree with the benefit of small class sizes. Because of this, there's better opportunities for close mentoring by professors. On my interview with my first company (a large video game co. at the time), they had me take a test. I remember competing with grads from UCB, Cal Tech, and few other schools. I was able to beat them all out because I was the only one who knew how to write pseudo code on a recursive algorithm to track sprite movements/frame counts, and the concept/logic behind moving the sprites. I would've never learned these techniques if it wasn't for my AWESOME mentor that helped me with several of my graphics projects.

All in all, I wouldn't worry too much about the school's rep. I think HR departments already know that Poly Engineering has a very low selection rate anyways (5% selection rate into CS is no joke) and it seems to be getting even more competitive each year.
  • CaliDad2021CaliDad2021 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    These are some great points guys and they make a ton of sense. I will take them to heart. Thank you.
  • retiredfarmerretiredfarmer Registered User Posts: 794 Member
    "...the curious/driven"

Love it!

Never underestimate the "curious driven."

Creativity often requires time and space well balanced with resources and knowledgeable co-workers. Nobel prizes are not a necessity.
  • GreymeerGreymeer Registered User Posts: 542 Member
    Cal Poly admit rate for engineering is 27%.

So, CS is probably north of 20%.
  • eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 5,015 Senior Member
    @Greymeer, Cal Poly admits competitively, by major. As a result, the admit stats are all over the map, from some that admit nearly every applicant, to those on par with Stanford's selectivity. The overall admit rate for engineering is skewed higher by Manufacturing, Materials, and Industrial, all of which accept well over 50% of their applicants. There's nothing wrong with those programs. It's simply a popularity contest. CS, ME, AE, and BME garner far more applications. According to Cal Poly's publically available projection data, for the current class applying, they expect 5297 CS applicants for 100 slots. We have no idea what the yield per major is at Cal Poly, because it isn't published, but the yield for the whole university hovers around 33%. That means 1 of 3 accepted actually attend. Applying that metric to the estimates for CS nets an anticipated acceptance rate of 5.67%. The actuals, also published for the previous year were just over 8% for CS.

https://content-calpoly-edu.s3.amazonaws.com/ir/1/images/2018-2019 Enrollment Targets and Projections.pdf
  • sawadeekasawadeeka Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    edited January 19
    @Greymeer, I disagree. For 2018, CS FTF apps were 5297 with a target of 100. With an estimated 33% yield rate, 300/5297 = 5%. Even if this yield rate is just an estimate, it's no where close to 20%. The overall admit rate for CENG for 2018 is closer to ~17% ((1123x3)/19141).

https://ir.calpoly.edu/content/publications_reports/targets/index
  • retiredfarmerretiredfarmer Registered User Posts: 794 Member
    Actually my math works out to 5.6635831602794% Somewhere we are missing the point!
  • i012575i012575 Registered User Posts: 453 Member
    CalPoly CDS 2017-18

https://content-calpoly-edu.s3.amazonaws.com/ir/1/images/CDS_2017-2018 (Annual Expense Update - Posted 7.12.18).pdf
    ACT Comp - 26-31
    ACT Math - 26-32

GTech 2017-18
    https://irp.gatech.edu/publications/common-data-set/
    ACT Comp - 30-34
    ACT Math - 30-35

UMich (full school) 2018-19
    http://obp.umich.edu/wp-content/uploads/pubdata/cds/cds_2018-2019_umaa.pdf

ACT Comp - 30-34
    ACT Math - 30-35

At the very least, smarter bunch of kids at GTech and UMich. Since my D2 recently graduated from GTech (MechE), I can state emphatically there is no shortage of learning opportunities and easy access to Professors there. And she had 7 job offers (one of these from NASA) out of her 11 applications, so even that is not something of an issue.
    Cal Poly engineering yield was 31%.

160 CS slots per class... so around 520 offers. At 5k applications that is around 10% admit rate.

The CS program is grossly undersized for the college... should be around 300 students. Typically the CS program is 20 to 25% the size of engineering.

• eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 5,015 Senior Member
    edited January 20
    @Greymeer, Did you look at the Institutional Research link? They expect nearly 5300 applications for 100 slots per class, not 160. Your estimate of 20% acceptance for CS is demonstrably wrong.

@i012575 said: "At the very least, smarter bunch of kids at GTech and UMich."

This certainly true across the whole university. The OP is only asking about engineering though. Comparing Cal Poly's ACTs across the whole university isn't that useful. Those stats get pulled down pretty hard by the College of Agriculture which makes up a sizeable portion of the student body.

If you compare just the CP College of Engineering, the median SAT for this year's Cal Poly Freshmen students was 1481 (ACT was 32). GT's, university wide, was 1425 and Michigan's, again, university wide, was 1420. So, at least in the College of Engineering, which makes up 25% of the student body, you really can't say the average student is any lesser than those at either Michigan or Georgia Tech. I cannot find the stats for just Colleges of Engineering at GT or Michigan, and admittedly, they could be higher. They can't be by much though.

https://admissions.calpoly.edu/prospective/profile.html

Note: If looking at the link above, Cal Poly uses a unique weighting system, allowing up to 8 semesters of AP/IB to boost the grade by one point. Effectively an A in an AP/IB class, would count as an A+. It is impacted by the number of classes a student takes, and counts freshman grades, but for all intents and purposes, the highest GPA is roughly 4.25. That's why the median GPA is 4.0 or better for every College in the University.
  • i012575i012575 Registered User Posts: 453 Member
    @eyemgh , I work in the Bay Area. I still have to come across anyone who has stated that he/she knows someone that has chosen CalPoly over say the other Cal State schools like UCLA, UCSD,..and that is what OP is interested in finding out too. Maybe your son can point to some of his classmates in this regard.
    For engineering Times higher has SLO ranked 133rd in the US a little below Oklahoma State, UAB and a little above Kansas State.

The ASEE student engineering profile is better than Auburn but not quite Alabama engineering.
    edited January 20
    @eyemgh "They expect nearly 5300 applications for 100 slots per class, not 160"

How do you explain the 700+ enrolled in CS? Does it take 7 years to graduate.
    CP eng enrolled ranges 1200 - 1410, 28-33
    GT eng enrolled ranges 1400 - 1550, 32-35
    Michigan eng enrolled ranges 1300 - 1490, 31-34