Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

(SOAR) Orientation In July QUESTION

Replies to: (SOAR) Orientation In July QUESTION

• WhatsupWhatsup Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    Probably because I'm the only one worrying about nothing. If we don't sign up for classes @ SOAR, when do we do it?
  • kristeeroxxkristeeroxx Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    Registration begins July 30
  • flip259flip259 Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    what the hell? why are they charging me 75 bucks for a SOAR scholarship? it says it on my portal. this better be an error because i did not buy a scholarship.
  • kristeeroxxkristeeroxx Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    The $75 is to attend the SOAR program. From their website:

Student Reservation:
    Includes an academic portfolio, a 2007-09 Cal Poly catalog, parking permit for the day and one lunch ticket. $75

Parent Orientation Reservation:
    Includes one set of materials and one lunch ticket. $40

Guest Lunch Tickets: $11 per person
    yeah i paid the $75 for orientation, but they double charged me today for another $75 for some weird scholarship that i can't find info about.

This is what it says:

We have received the following payments. Note: It may take up to 24 hours for payments to appear here.
    $75.00 06/18/2007 SOAR Registration Fee
    $75.00 06/20/2007 SOAR Scholarship
    $150.00 Total
    Flip, call the school and sort it out. I've called the school for issues and they're actually very easygoing and very trusting.

In other news...I just got an email that I may get stuck in a triple dorm. Damnit.
    yeah i'll contact them. eh..i might volunteer to do a triple. i signed up the day that the application was open. that 15% might come in handy when i need to pay for the parking permit.
    Jeezuz Flip the more you respond the more questions I have. Do you know when parking permits become available?
    it goes on sale july 15th for $405 if you're going to park for the whole year.
    http://police.calpoly.edu/parking/parking_online_permit.htm
    you don't have to bring your car. actually they perfer you not to, but i want to come home sometimes. i need real food. lol

if you keep it up with those questions, this thread is going to be 10 pages long. haha..
    Where do you live, flip?

Also, for SOAR, my check in time says 7:30-noon. Does that mean I can come at noon instead of bright and early in the morning?
    i live in the boring place on earth. no really, i live near the san joaquin/stanislaus county area or whatever. you should go at 7:30. the presentation is going to be at 8:30. it gives an hour in case there's traffic or lateness that occurs and then the test is at 10. so yeah that means i have to wake up at 4 in the morning. dammit. :(
    My test is @ 10:30. I honestly couldn't care about the presentation and whatnot, I just want to take the test and get advising. if traffic is bad I'll just walk to campus, since the place Im staying is right around the corner from campus.

I've been studying my butt off for precal and I still don't feel prepared.
  • biyatchpleaseiibiyatchpleaseii Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    uhh.. what's SOAR?
    i dont believe we had this last year..
    It's just a lame way to make a routine orientation sound cool.

If you had academic advising last year, was it 1-on-1 or just a big group discussion. If it's a group thing, I may skip that too.
  • biyatchpleaseiibiyatchpleaseii Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    ehh.. orientation?
    i really doubt its worth your time to actually go there for it.
This discussion has been closed.