Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Can you take classes outside of your major, and/or can you minor in something?

WhatsupWhatsup Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
edited October 2007 in Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
The vibe I get from Cal Poly is that you become very restricted from anything outside your major, but I'm probably wrong.
Post edited by Whatsup on

Replies to: Can you take classes outside of your major, and/or can you minor in something?

• Giants8307Giants8307 Registered User Posts: 505 Member
    Of course. There are a ton of minors to choose from. Just check out the Cal Poly Catalog on the website.
  • dsiwdsiw Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    I heard from someone who goes there that it's really hard to change majors. Is this true? It could be because he is an engineering major.
  • jjsoa1jjsoa1 Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
    Yes it is difficult to switch majors here. You need to have a 3.0 GPA to switch to most majors and that is difficult to obtain ESPECIALLY if you don't like what you are studying now. It sort of creates a hole for people who chose the wrong major coming in here because if find that they don't like what they are studying now and want to switch, they still have to get a strong GPA.

And to answer the first question. Yes you can get a minor and it is not difficult to obtain. You may spend an extra quarter here though.
This discussion has been closed.