Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which UCs would you choose over SLO for engineering?

DJdooeyDJdooey Registered User Posts: 196 Junior Member
edited July 2006 in Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
I think i would choose ucsd, ucla, and berkeley for sure over slo. But for the other UCs i think i would have a hard time deciding. How about you guys?
Post edited by DJdooey on

Replies to: Which UCs would you choose over SLO for engineering?

• socalnicksocalnick Registered User Posts: 253 Junior Member
    well it really depends if you plan on going to grad school it probably is a better idea to go to a uc such as irvine or davis

if you plan on just getting a bachlors it might be a good idea to go to cal poly over irvine and davis
  • PolarManPolarMan Registered User Posts: 204 Junior Member
    I would most likely choose UCLA or Berkeley over SLO if that's the case. SLO's engineering program, I would say, is better than Irvine, Davis and SB.

Cal Poly focuses more on job training while UCs are more focused on overall education. In any case, the UC grad is generally more prepared for grad school.
  • mt234mt234 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    I chose Cal Poly over UCLA, Davis, Irvine and Riverside for engineering. In my opinion berkeley is the only UC with a better engineering program.
  • mathfreak101mathfreak101 Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    i agree. the only uc that is better than poly is berkeley in regards to engineering..but then it also comes down to whether ur a hippy or someone conservative..if you like bums then go to berkeley :-D
  • StrykurStrykur Registered User Posts: 1,759 Senior Member
    Political orientation is irrelevant when choosing to go a top college, almost all top-ranked universities are liberal (Dartmouth is the only notable exception I'm aware of).
    no need to get offended, all im saying is that poly is pretty conservative, with the huge ag base and the lack of diversity it is inevitably a republican campus
    and the bum comment was actually intended to be quite literall..not that someone liberal likes bums, just that berkeley is a home to many homeless haha
  • lomeg329lomeg329 Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    i hate those stereotypes of berkeley....
  • Mr PayneMr Payne Registered User Posts: 8,850 Senior Member
    Berkeley is the only public engineering school in CA that I would consider over Cal Poly SLO. Berkeley has chewed up a large many smart students. Cal Poly isn't quite as hardcore.
  • biyatchpleaseiibiyatchpleaseii Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    i'd say berkeley and ucla
  • algebra949ealgebra949e Registered User Posts: 30 New Member
    why not UCSD or UCSB (top20) or UCI and UCD (top40)

Cal Poly is not very distinguished inthat critieria
  • Mr PayneMr Payne Registered User Posts: 8,850 Senior Member
    You are looking at Graduate School rankings. That has virtually no relation to undergraduate rankings.
  • algebra949ealgebra949e Registered User Posts: 30 New Member
    undergrad rankings are similar to graduate for UC but cal poly is not part of graduate rankings. :)
  • justsomeboijustsomeboi Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    I'd say all of them, in my case. Berkeley is to far from home. UCLA is overcrowded. My friend's smallest class is 168 students and she is a junior biochem major. For one of my planned classes in PASS at cal poly, is 64 students for chem 124, the average being 32 students for most my classes.

I don't know how you can learn in such a big institution.

As for political orientation... Cal poly is pretty conservative. I'm a liberal though =p

As for engineering, Cal Poly is ranked number one in its league.
    We are top for masters and undergraduate ranking. The best!

As for graduate... we would not be in a graduate rank system. Why?
    Cal Poly is not a graduate focused institution. There are no PHD's handed there. They focus on undergrad, and they do a great job at it.

Personally, I wouldn't choose a university that highly focuses and funds their graduate programs, while over-filling and neglecting their undergraduate programs as many large doctoral universities happen to do. Your looking for your first 4 years (bachelors) and possibly next 2 years (master's) to spend your education at. Don't base it on a institution that focuses on the last 2-4yrs, but on the first six years, your foundation.
  • biyatchpleaseiibiyatchpleaseii Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    six years? you planning to stay undergrad for that long?
This discussion has been closed.