Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Early Decision!

2»

Replies to: Early Decision!

• nschuchertnschuchert Registered User Posts: 529 Member
    Chances are the average SAT and GPA will go up for admitted students this year but you still have a good chance at getting in.
  • USCArchieUSCArchie Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    your chance aren't that slim. it's just that most of the students i know that are there for architecture had way higher stats.

and cuesta definitely has arch courses. basically all of the arch teachers at cuesta also teach at cal poly. that's way you're basically guranteed a spot when you transfer and you don't have to make a portfolio like all of students that want to transfer into architecture. all of the courses you'd take a cuesta perfectly transfer over so you'd be a junior for sure when transferring. sometimes, when you transfer from other jc's, they don't always match all the classes and you're stuck repeating a quarter or two.
  • jackht27jackht27 Registered User Posts: 714 Member
    i'm definitely looking into cuesta, but my school counselor just spoke with a rep at the admissions office. the rep said i have actually a better chance of being accepted because of my early decision app. it shows my motivation and committment to going to cal poly.

plus, many people that are accepted do not accept cal poly as their final pick.

also, for anyone who hasn't heard, cal poly is building more dorms so they need to be filled up...so they are accepting more applicants to fill them.
  • nschuchertnschuchert Registered User Posts: 529 Member
    They're building more dorms because they don't guarantee housing to anyone. I went to an admitted students day thing there last year and they kept stressing that they have a huge housing problem. I'm sure they're idea with the new housing is that they might be able to accept more students, but they made it sound like the new housing was going to address the current housing problem.
    Just because they're making more dorms doesn't mean that they'll be accepting more. They already can't provide dorms for all the students they've accepted. This will just allow more of the students they've accepted housing, possibly gurantee all freshmen housing, which they currently don't. Although, my sister took a tour there in november, and she was told only some of the housing would possibly be done by fall 2008. It'll be complete in fall 2009.
  • collegemom16collegemom16 Registered User Posts: 4,257 Senior Member
    When we toured they said the housing was being done in phases. They anticipated having enough ready (2008 high school graduates) to house all incoming freshman. Stated plans were to have the rest of the housing completed the following year, 2009 to provide housing for all incoming freshman and returning sophomores.
    Oh, I must have misunderstood my sister then. Thanks for the correction collegemom16.
    Or they have fallen behind. That is certainly possible with construction! Is there anybody on the CPSLO campus who can tell us what is currently up with the housing situation?
  • jackht27jackht27 Registered User Posts: 714 Member
    collegemom, that is what i heard as well. but like you said, many times those kind of projects are delayed.
  • historymomhistorymom Registered User Posts: 3,467 Senior Member
    When we toured two weeks ago the timeline was still being reported as being completed by 09. Our tour guide said that the goal was to accomodate all freshman and more second year students as well.
  • strayhobostrayhobo Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
    i currently attend cal poly and have some information about housing. the housing they are building right now is the Poly Canyons Appts. those will be exclusively available to sophomore students along with Cerro Vista. they aren't building any new "dorms" in a traditional sense, just different housing so that they can free up any spots in the other halls for more freshman. also, i happen to be living off campus at valencia apartments and it is not a bad alternative.
    Thanks strayhobo, but I'm confused. When we toured they said they were specifically building more dorms for freshman. Are you saying that phase is already completed and they are on to building the second phase of new sophomore apartments? Are students currently living in any of the new buildings?
  • kristeeroxxkristeeroxx Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    I am currently living on-campus in Cerro Vista. I am not to sure what is going on with the housing but from my understanding they are building new housing for both freshmen and sophomores. Right now only freshmen live in the dorms and there are not enough for everyone. All the dorms that are currently lived in are at least several years old, so none of them are new construction. I am a transfer student so this is my first year at Cal Poly. Because of this campus housing recently sent me an email stating "housing staff is putting together the final plans for a second year housing lottery process for you to apply to live in the new Poly Canyon Village Apartments for next year." I think they plan on having some of the construction done for Fall '08 and the rest done for Fall '09. I can see the buildings from my apt and it looks like that's what they'll be doing. I don't know if any of the freshmen housing will be done for next year though.
  • saabicia@comcast[email protected] Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    Sorry, I know I'm interrupting a conversation in this thread, but I got into Cal Poly early decision under the Recreation Parks & Tourism Administration major. I know you've never heard of it, but it's amaaaazing!

GPA: 3.3
    SAT: 1140
    ACT: 26
    25 - 30 hours/week

I love Cal Poly! I can't wait to meet everyone!!!!! :)
  • logicaldoglogicaldog . Posts: 69 Junior Member
    they are still making the decision about how to proceed with housing, the new housing may be available to freshman
2»
This discussion has been closed.