Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Early Decision!

USCArchieUSCArchie Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
edited December 2007 in Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
When you find out your results, post them! And make sure you post your stats and major as well!

my sister got in!! she found out this morning!!

GPA: 3.95
SAT: 1150 (v+m)
ACT: 26

major: City and Regional Planning
Post edited by USCArchie on

Replies to: Early Decision!

• marley123marley123 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    GPA: 3.0
    SAT: 1410
    ACT: 29
    Work Experience: 16 Hours/week
    Major: Ag Engineering
  • vbgirl4vbgirl4 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    i got into cal poly!!!
    GPA: 3.48
    SAT: 1180
    Work experience: 15 hours per week
    I have a question though. it says that i have to take the elm unless i am exempt. for one of the exemptions it says: "a score of 550 or above on the Math SAT I/II". i did really bad on the sat II math section but for the SAT I i got a 610. Am I exempt?
  • USCArchieUSCArchie Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    i'd assume so. my sister never took the SAT II, but she scored well over 550 in math so i think she's exempt. i believe they said that you only need one to be exempt, but i'm not sure. contact the school to make sure though. oh, and what major did you get into?
  • DECAmsDECAms Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    I'm in!!

GPA: 3.9
    SAT: 640 m, 540 r
    ACT: 27

Business Admin
  • logicaldoglogicaldog . Posts: 69 Junior Member
    Got in, very happy, architecture. I accepted Cal Poly over Tulane and Cornell because of the quality of the architecture program-over UC Berkeley absolutely. I interviewed practicing architects and Cal Poly is number one to most I talked to. This years Design Intelligence rates VA Tech as #1, that is insane, Va Tech is not well thought of here in VA.
    that's great logicaldog! they do have a great program! what were your stats?
  • tomtomtomtom Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    And UC Berkely isnt thought of as highly here in CA either. Not compared to most east coast schools of equal or lesser academic merit, at least.

PS- congratulations to those who got in. I've got to play the waiting game until february it seems.
  • NJlaxfan169NJlaxfan169 Registered User Posts: 284 Junior Member
    VA Tech is very well thought of in VA in terms of architecture and engineering....that's about it.
    UC Berkeley is still thought of highly, but not for architecture. it's a 4 year BS program and it's not that great. Cal Poly's program is way better plus it's a 5 year BArch.

Although, USC's program is very good as well :)
  • ddjeh5ddjeh5 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I didn't get in E D. I thought my math sat score of 780 would be a plus. I guess not! Anyone want to tell me my chances of getting in regular decision?
    GPA 3.65
    math 780
    verbal 520
    Business Admin.
    ddjeh5: even though your GPA is low, i would have thought you would have got in with those SAT scores. i'd say you have a good shot at regular though. only 10% of admitted applicants come for ed so i wouldn't stress out about not getting in early. you've still got a shot at regular.
  • logicaldoglogicaldog . Posts: 69 Junior Member
    my stats: GPA 3.85 weighted
    Full IB Dip
    ACT- 26 (retook it but havent sent these yet 31)
  • jackht27jackht27 Registered User Posts: 714 Member
    Well, I got deferred today.
    I'm not sad or happy. I am actually kind of surprised i didn't get in yet, i thought i had a good chance.

Architecture
    SAT: 1150 (v + m)

Does anyone know if i have a good chance of getting in for the RD? Maybe i will send a letter saying how im still very interested and that cal poly slo is my first choice. i would die if i have to go to cal poly pomona. its like the loser school for arch students ahaha
    Architecture is super hard to get into. My sister applied under City and Regional Planning because she thought she couldn't get into Architecture and she had a 3.95 GPA, 26 ACT, 1150 SAT. Lucky for you, the stats this year seem to be a lot lower for students admitted, so you might have a chance.

and don't bother sending a letter. they won't look at it anyways so don't waste your time. they won't look at any additional information unless they ask for it.

if you don't get in, go to cuesta. you can easily transfer to cal poly that way. all the arch teachers there also teach at cal poly. you're basically automatically in when you transfer from there. you don't even have to do a portfolio, but if you go to another school and want to transfer into their arch, you have to have a portfolio. if you really don't wanna get stuck in pomona, then don't go. cuesta is a really good school and you'll easily be able to transfer to cal poly, and if it's your dream school.. the it's worth going to cuesta.
  • jackht27jackht27 Registered User Posts: 714 Member
    yeah i thought about the city/regional planning but decided that it was worth giving architecture a go because that's definitely what i want to do.
    i have thought about cuesta. do they have arch courses? because if they don't i might as well go to a jc that's near my area and save myself the expense of living away from home.

i wouldn't mind going to pomona. their program is decent i have heard, and it is a cinch to get into as well...its just that slo would be so much better because their program is so much more respected and the area is beautiful.

are my chances of getting in really that slim? i checked the selection criteria and i fall within the average of enrolled/accepted students.

oh and im confused, i know it says not to send any additional documents that support the application, but they don't have an email adress so if i'm supposed to get in contact with them, like they encourage you to do on the letter they sent me, how am i supposed to reach them without sending a letter into the admissions office?!
This discussion has been closed.