Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Arch Freshman>>

Replies to: Arch Freshman>>

• j.irvin020j.irvin020 Registered User Posts: 297 Junior Member
    hey infinity, did you see when you went on the portal before you log in they have another maintenance tonight? I wonder if wednesdays are the primary days for sending out notifications. I know how you said your friend got in yesterday, but just thought I'd see what your input is. I mean last wednesday we didn't really hear of anyone else get in, but yeah hopefully it's something. Nothing todya for me as well.
  • tenh20tenh20 Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
    hey infinity, do you go to a cc in sd? I'm taking a rop drafting course at my hs, and we're working with one of the cc by me to get some of the material. I thought it would help me to take two years of drafting, but I haven't seen any great benefit yet...I thought wed was a big day too, but it seems weekdays in general are notification days. O well.
  • infinityWOLFinfinityWOLF Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    For Architecture, drafting a good skill. But SLO wants students to know how to sketch in 3D (and it doesn't have to been clean cut). Mechanical drawing is a useful skill, but once you learn CAD, then you won't need to drafting up your drawings. I'm sure everything you'll do first year will be hand drawn, so those skills will come in handy (also, if you don't have continual access to a computer that can handle AutoCAD, Revit, Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketchup, ArchiCAD, and many other programs, then drafting is vital). Practice on your lettering and rendering is a skill that you might want to look into (it just gives that personal touch to your work). Work on sketching, both fast and slow, that's what SLO design courses are looking for.

I go to Southwestern in Chula Vista. The Arch. program is decent. I've had some influential design teachers and I also take Engineering courses here. I'll probably post my portfolio online soon, so if you want to see some work. But yea, sketch like there's no tomorrow. Also, look into local colleges (Woodbury, Mesa, Southwestern, Imperial Beach) and see if they have a team competing in the Design Village competition that's held at SLO in April. You'll have fun and you'll learn a lot about structure, and you'll just have to bring your cleverness to the design table.

This year's design village theme is "Post Apocalypse: Form Follows Fiction" and we have to accommodate for global warming, fallen world economy, no gas, no vegetation, no fauna, and zombies! Look into it, the competition is fun as hell if you like designing and building.
    There's definitely a lot to get into. Thanks for the advice. I do work on AutoCAD in class, but nothing much past the basics. My teacher always praises me for being the only girl of forty in the class, but he also doesn't expect that much of me for that reason. I'm probably the only one in the class even thinking about college, but I lnew that when I signed up for it. The design theme seems pretty cool. If you gonna do architecture you might as well build "green." That's where design should all be going. Good luck with your designs, and it would be great to see some of the stuff from your portfolio. O, we work with the basic drafting class as Cuyamaca college. Keep me updated..:)
  • infinityWOLFinfinityWOLF Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    :-), you're talking to a sustainable architect, I've done a lot of personal studies in green and sustainable architecture. If you've got questions, I know about environmental controls, green materials, building methods, a lot. Definitely continue on that route.
  • j.irvin020j.irvin020 Registered User Posts: 297 Junior Member
    hey infinity have you heard anything yet? I tried logging in once and it was way too slow to load. Said that there's a lot of traffic so hopefully somethings going down haha.
    Is there a certain amount of spots for freshman and a certain amount for transfers? So have they already decided who is in, they just haven't notified us yet?
  • alb16alb16 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    how impacted is political science? and when will cal poly let you know if you got in foran alternate?
  • nproamrnproamr Registered User Posts: 133 Junior Member
    I'm also a transfer student hoping to get into Architecture at SLO. I'm starting to get itchy!!!!!
  • clickannclickann Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    ALB16 I called CP on Friday and they indicated it would be very unlikley if anyone would get their alternate major choice as that only happens when there are empty spots in the major (Which he said is unlikely due to the large volume of applicants this year).
  • alb16alb16 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    i was rejected from architecture; i called and they said they accepted only 96 people with gpa average 4.08 and 1360 SAT
    and no alternate:(
    I got rejected too for Architecture as a transfer.
    I'm sorry guys...i just got rejected for arch too. Where do you think ur headed now?
    No idea!!! Still waiting for UCLA and Berkeley. If I don't get in I'll just take more physics, trig and calculus and try again next year.
  • golflovergolflover Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    alb16, my D is waitlisted. Thanks for the stats info. We feel better and also mad. She has a 4.17 CSU GPA and 1350 SAT. Shocker, we thought this is a backup for her. Guess not. Where else are you guys applying? Just curious.
This discussion has been closed.