Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Best Dorm at Cal Poly?

Replies to: Best Dorm at Cal Poly?

• CalMom05CalMom05 Registered User Posts: 143 Junior Member
    Yes. We will be there on Wed.-Fri. (April 7th-9th). I really hope my son likes the campus feel. If we do not get to tour Cerro Villa as part of the tour, I will make sure we get to at least check it out from the outside.
  • axlindgrenaxlindgren Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    We finally mailed in the forms today! Hope to get my spot in cerro vista. Thanks for your help.
  • werty1992werty1992 Registered User Posts: 158 Junior Member
    I was admitted on 2/19, but I was holding out for my dream school. Do you think it is too late to get into a dorm? Did you have to send in a housing deposit with the housing application? I'm going up there on Monday to check it out.
  • gotpetergotpeter Registered User Posts: 407 Member
    No and yes.
  • Socal70Socal70 Registered User Posts: 326 Member
    I'm pretty sure there's still room left. I went for an admissions and campus tour on monday. The lady in charge in housing said there were a lot of spaces left because majority of students were still deciding their choices.
  • WaitingfornowWaitingfornow Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    hey werty im going up monday too and taking a tour heh. and i don't think it's too late... i haven't made a decision yet either and worst possible thing seems like getting a 3 person dorm
  • eduparenteduparent Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    Hope there are tours of Cerro Vista at Open House, so prospective students and parents can see those dorms. If there are no Cerro tours, you can go to the community area/front desk and look around. You may not be able to see inside an apartment but you can meander around the corridors of the various apartment buildings.

My son started Cerro in the second year and has lived in both Bishop and Morro. The apartment arrangements are about the same in both buildings, so I would assume all of the Cerro apartments are very similar. Cal Poly’s housing website shows accurate photos of Cerros's apartment interior and furnishings.
  • mandilovemandilove Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    For Cerro Vista, do they pre-assign your rooms or is it first come first serve?
    Thanks.
  • mandilovemandilove Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    Nevermind I just saw on the housing website that they do.
  • BlueAlienBlueAlien Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    So for an engineering student, would you recommend the North Mountain halls or Santa Lucia?
  • nutellaellanutellaella Registered User Posts: 140 Junior Member
    there are no housing tours for open house..i think this week there were tours
  • einnobeinnob Registered User Posts: 956 Member
    I have a quick question, do the regular campus tours include a housing tour too? thanks!
  • momofmvmomofmv Registered User Posts: 595 Member
    einobb^ I thought that there were housing tours at Open House. They are not part of the regular tour, but they are offered seperately. There are tours this week as well, but I am fairly certain that they will have tours next week at Open House.

Blue Alien^ My friend's son is in Mech engineering and he lives in North Mountain. he likes it and he can go to Santa Lucia for the community rooms. It is plenty social for him and he also says that he is studying a lot and he needs the quieter dorms. North Mountain has no inner hallways, so it is less social they say. his roommmate is a Computer engineer.
  • 2Leashes2Leashes Registered User Posts: 1,632 Senior Member
    And, a friend of mine has a daughter in Industrial Engineering in Santa Lucia (double). That's the Living Learning dorm for Engineering. She likes it. But, her mom told me she now kind of wishes she would have chosen Cerro Vista. She likes the idea of making some of her own meals. Well, next year she can choose Poly Canyon!

momofmv said:

Blue Alien^ My friend's son is in Mech engineering and he lives in North Mountain. he likes it and he can go to Santa Lucia for the community rooms. It is plenty social for him and he also says that he is studying a lot and he needs the quieter dorms. North Mountain has no inner hallways, so it is less social they say. his roommmate is a Computer engineer.
  • werty1992werty1992 Registered User Posts: 158 Junior Member
    I am here. The plan is 12:00 meeting for admitted students, 1:00 campus tour, 2:00 PM Housing tour and 3:00 School of Business meeting. I will report back this afternoon to everyone. I was admitted on 2/19 and have not commited yet either. I plan on walking over the housing ap in person tomorrow on my out if I like it here.

I did not sign up for any of the tours or meetings. If you see me, say, "Hi." I will be in a black Billy Bong shirt with a black vest. Blonde, 5'10", and I answer to David. My mom will be in a bright green sweater with a scarf, about 5'5", 120 lbs, short blonde hair. You can't miss that sweater. :)
This discussion has been closed.