Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Best Dorm at Cal Poly?

12346»

Replies to: Best Dorm at Cal Poly?

• WaitingfornowWaitingfornow Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    ^werty haha darn i was driving all morning so i didn't read till now i was in the 12 meeting the 1 housing tour and the 2 campus tour >.<. i was brunette with bangs 5' 8" girl grey sweater thing and my mom was wearing a leather jacket :). i went to Muir and with the bio guy for the campus tour, i probably saw you some time... im actually still here at a hotel down the road
  • werty1992werty1992 Registered User Posts: 158 Junior Member
    I was setting in the second row with a turquoise and black hoodie. I went on the Tenaya/Sierra Madre tour. I thought the guy from admissions was pretty funny at the noon meeting. I got the sense that everyone is pretty cool at CP. They genuinely seemed to want us to come to CP. On the B School tour, they told us that they were able to take the really top students. 5000 applied to B School and they accepted 1500 hoping for a class of 500. So, anyone at that noon meeting should feel proud. Especially, the architecture students; WOW! I am impressed guys! One of the top 3 schools in the country. :) There were 41,000 aps this year to CP.

I promised a report on housing. First off, in the noon meeting the admin people said that tons of kids are still making up their mind, so I got the feeling that there are housing options open. In fact, only about 3 kids said they had already committed and the room was full. But, I would start making a decision no laterthan next week if you want you a good dorm.

The red bricks were depressing to me and I can't imagine triples in those dorms. Even though Tenaya is labeled as a business living and learning community, the students who led the business school tour said that really wasn't the case anymore. When we went past the residential computer bldg, the guide made the comment that they spend allot of time in the red brick dorms. Reading between the lines, what I got from that was they spend allot of time there troubleshooting the internet connections. That makes sense to me b/c it looked like they were the original dorms.

I really liked Sierra Madre. They were open and bright and the rooms were much nicer. The older Mountain dorms were also actually not bad. They have HUGE windows, but they remind me of a motel. All doors lead to the outside. No hallways. there was a mix of students there this year, not just engineering students.

The Sierra Vista apartments were awesome. At first, I thought they were the best, but after thinking about it, I would probably choose to live there my sophomore year. They are a bit more isolated and apartment style, so you not as much interaction with other students as a regular dorm.

Those were the only dorms that I saw. Did anyone see Yosemite?

I also went on the Business School tour and would highly recommend going on your school specific tour. That is where I received the really important information to help me decide. I am off to Boulder on Friday and I have to make my mind up by April 12 b/c/ that is when I have to let the Norlin Scholars know if I am accepting the opportunity. Boulder is really cold and no surf. :(

At the moment I am leaning towards Cal Poly and I am still appealing to USC.

The students are all really nice and friendly. And the campus is very laid back. The students seemed like they had a healthy balance of studying hard and having fun. Most of the students are from CA.
  • WaitingfornowWaitingfornow Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    The red bricks did seem depressing on the tours but I spent the afternoon with some friends that go there both have triples and they Both really like it.. Their rooms are suprisingly spacy and one of them even rearranged the furnature so it's more open. I am actually leaning towards the redbricks if I decide to go there in the fall :)

edit: oh and i did see yosemite. the lay out was interesting and it did seem like it would help you get to know people but i really didn't like it that much from the tour. there were 2 wings on each floor one boy one girl and 12 people in each wing and a middle space where they could hang out. i didn't like it because the hallways were really narrow and even though the rooms were kind of big.. they didn't seem that nice.
  • 2Leashes2Leashes Registered User Posts: 1,632 Senior Member
    It's nice to see a couple points of views here. My daughter's first choice is Sierra Madre--Connections. However, she put down Muir--Living & Learning next. It's in the red bricks. Her third choice is Yosemite. As it stands right now, she and her good friend from high school will be sharing a dorm room. I hope they don't get a triple in the red bricks because it might make it uncomfortable for the third person being in the same room as best friends. PLUS, it would be crowded.

My daughter got accepted to USC and happened to look at the triples in one of their dorms. It's a great arrangement---TWO rooms. One with 3 beds (no bunks) and closets and the other one with just desks for studying. That makes more sense.
  • gotpetergotpeter Registered User Posts: 407 Member
    FWIW, my son, an AE freshman, ended up in a Red Brick (Muir) because he managed to enter his 3 preferences backwards. (Sierra Madre was his first choice.) Initially he thought Muir was depressing just like you guys. Now he and his roommate love it: great location in the heart of the campus, excellent set up for socializing and they were able to arrange the room such that they got a couch in. Its now "all good".
  • SanDiego2010SanDiego2010 Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    Saw this recently posted on the Housing website....with financial situation the way it is, it is probably a long shot....

University Housing - Cal Poly

Mini refrigerator - University Housing is currently considering providing one mini refrigerator in each Residence Hall room (at no extra charge). Final determination on the feasibility of this added amenity will be determined by early July 2010. University Housing recommends that students/parents delay purchasing their own mini refrigerator until that time (early July). Updated information will be posted at this website by then.
  • momomommomomom Registered User Posts: 152 Junior Member
    2Leashes,
    The way it worked this past year is that you won't get tripled in the red bricks if you select a roommate in advance. My daughter found a roommate on Facebook, they requested each other, and they did not get tripled. You can call housing to verify this, but your daughter should not get a triple if she and her roommate request each other.

2Leashes wrote:
    As it stands right now, she and her good friend from high school will be sharing a dorm room. I hope they don't get a triple in the red bricks because it might make it uncomfortable for the third person being in the same room as best friends. PLUS, it would be crowded.
    Thanks momomom! In that case it might work to her advantage having her good friend as a roommate. Still, if we knew for sure she would be in Sierra Madre (double), having an unknown dorm mate seems more ideal. Well, it will work out in the end. :)

momomom wrote:

2Leashes,
    The way it worked this past year is that you won't get tripled in the red bricks if you select a roommate in advance. My daughter found a roommate on Facebook, they requested each other, and they did not get tripled. You can call housing to verify this, but your daughter should not get a triple if she and her roommate request each other.
  • wcw110wcw110 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    I was looking at the map of Cal Poly and noticed "halls" by the football stadium, Heron, Jespersen, and Chase Halls. It doesnt seem like they are still used as dorms, so what are they used for now?

Also, where are most of the fraternities and sororities located?
  • itssteven47itssteven47 Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    just going over everything for cerro vista i was just wondering if in your own room can you bring your own tv?
  • nutellaellanutellaella Registered User Posts: 140 Junior Member
    the frats and all are mostly on Hathaway street
  • momofmvmomofmv Registered User Posts: 595 Member
    itssteven47^ Yes, you can bring your own tv, but not a small refrigerator. Hopefully someone in your suite will bring a larger tv to share in the living room.
  • dietz199dietz199 Registered User Posts: 3,549 Senior Member
    I spoke with a housing representative several weeks ago regarding the possibility of being tripled in Tenaya - D first choice. I was told that selecting your own room mate does NOT preclude being assigned a triple. According to the rep. once all rooms have been assigned as doubles, they simply start from the top of the list and add in the remaining students until everyone is assigned a room. It was unclear what 'top of the list' means.

I was also told that room mate change requests could not be made for the first 2 weeks. After that there is a process in place to via the RA's.

Although there are over 10 students from D's school going to CP she really wants to make new connections and venture out and thus is not selecting a known buddy. It concerns me to have her assigned a random person - she seems to be quite comfortable with the idea.
    ^^ Has she connected with anyone on the Cal Poly Class of 2014 Facebook group? My daughter has been messaging back and forth with a few girls. I'm not sure if she's found anyone yet, but it's nice to be able to see their Facebook profiles and photos to get a better idea of who they are. My daughter is excited to to make new connections, too. But, it's also kind of nice to room with someone with similar interests.
  • Mariner116Mariner116 Registered User Posts: 219 Junior Member
    dietz199, your daughter should also use one of the room mate selection sites. My daughter selected Cerra Vista and has found 3 roommates using that service. I can't remember the name of the service but there is a large group of CP students using it. They work a bit like a "dating site". You answer some questions and then you get a compatibilty score of people interested in the same dorm.
12346»
This discussion has been closed.